Art of Accounting: Staying in Control
A new year has just begun. Start it by getting and staying in control. Here are some ways to do this.
10 Ways to Stay in Control
- Keep desk clean.
- Open postal mail and take care of, assign, file or toss it. Neat piles become tomorrow’s mess.
- Do the same with emails—open, take care of, assign, file or delete them.
- Return (or have someone return) all phone calls with calls or emails. With emails you don’t have to ask about their weekend, vacation or sick pet.
- Schedule work realistically and keep promises or let people know early on that a commitment cannot be met and reschedule it realistically.
- Establish checklists, standardize procedures and make sure they are followed.
- Your staff needs to report to you on schedule, meet deadlines, use the checklists and follow the procedures.
- Partners and managers need to get back to staff with open items and answers to questions, and your staff’s schedules need to be respected.
- Think and be orderly.
- Be quick, open and frank with clients (or partners and staff) when surprises, errors or problems develop. Source: Accounting Today.