George Mason University
Assistant Director, Internal Audit
George Mason University—an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with global distinction in a range of academic fields—seeks an experienced and skilled audit professional with exceptional leadership and strategic and collaboration skills to become our next Assistant Director of Internal Audit. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason's academic and culturally inclusive environment.
George Mason University is Virginia's largest public research university. Located near Washington, D.C., Mason enrolls over 34,000 students from over 135 countries and all 50 states. Mason has grown rapidly over the past half-century; and is recognized for its innovation and entrepreneurship, remarkable diversity, and commitment to accessibility. Mason faculty have been recognized with some of the most prestigious awards in the world, including the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economics, twice. Since 2008, Mason is honored to have been annually recognized by The Chronicle of Higher Education in their “Great Colleges to Work For” program.
The incumbent provides operational leadership and supervision of the implementation of a high quality, coordinated, risk-based internal audit program which provides university executives and board members with assurance related to university governance, risk management and control processes. This position is also responsible for developing Internal Audit team effectiveness through recruiting, talent development, performance management, and overall leadership.
Brokerage Audit Manager
E*TRADE is a leading financial services company and a pioneer in the online brokerage industry. Having executed the first-ever electronic trade by an individual investor more than 30 years ago, the company has long been at the forefront of the digital revolution, offering easy-to-use solutions for individual investors and stock participants. Founded on the principle of innovation and determined to level the playing field for individual investors, E*TRADE delivers digital platforms, tools, and professional assistance to help investors and traders meet their near-and long-term investing goals. The Company provides these services both online and through its network of customer service representatives and financial consultants – over the phone at two national branches and in-person at 30 E*TRADE branches.
BSA | The Software Alliance is the leading advocate for the global software industry before governments and in the international marketplace. Its members are among the world’s most innovative companies, creating software solutions that spark the economy and improve modern life. With headquarters in Washington, DC and operations in more than 60 countries around the world, BSA pioneers compliance programs that promote legal software use and advocates for public policies that foster technology innovation and drive growth in the digital economy.
The Assistant Controller is a key leader in BSA’s annual planning and budget processes. The position will also manage BSA’s financial accounting and reporting systems, multinational transactions, foreign currencies, closes the monthly and annual financial books, prepares company consolidations and internal and external reporting including audited financial statements. This role will also assist in monitoring BSA’s investments. BSA is a collaborative work environment. The ideal candidate will both provide leadership and be able to work well as a member of a team.
The Assistant Controller reports to the Controller with dotted line responsibilities to the CFO for a broad range of strategic financial planning, annual budgeting and special projects. The position is responsible for accounting systems management, General Ledger accounting and reporting and supervises staff accountant(s).
Professional Experience and Qualifications:
- Masters of Accountancy and CPA required.
- At least eight years of relevant experience to include accounting systems noted below, general ledger, foreign currency accounting, subsidiary accounting, foreign company consolidations, monthly and annual accruals, close and reporting, audit preparation and documentation.
- Ability to manage and prioritize competing projects to completion under pressing deadlines in a team environment.
- Experience managing staff and/or interns to support completion of assignments and projects.
- Ability to work independently, as needed, on assigned projects and keep interested staff advised of progress and status versus deadline.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to communication effectively with worldwide staff verbally and in written communicaitons.
- Demonstrated critical thinking and analytical skills to recognize and resolve pending systems and accounting challenges.
- Experience with foreign and domestic accounting transactions.
Budgeting and Projections
- Maintains and upgrades budgeting, projection, and monthly financial reporting systems.
- Maintains and upgrades the General Ledger account structure to accumulate and report financial results by country, regions, critical markets and initiative.
- Supports the CFO in monthly and annual reporting, projections and planning/budgeting processes.
- Uploads budgets to the accounting system and controls and tracks budget changes.
- Engages and controls external programmers developing ‘real time’ financial reporting system upgrades from project inception to completion.
- Consolidates detailed program and budgets and reports and communicates results and status to BSA managers.
Accounting and reporting systems
- Implements and manages the financial accounting and reporting systems (Microsoft Great Plains Dynamics, Budget Maestro, On-line reports), and keeps them up-to-date and ensures data integrity and accuracy.
- Acts as the project manager for systems upgrades and modifications, working with external consultants as needed.
- Manages the General Ledger account structure to capture and report changes in the organizational structure.
Financial Accounting, Reporting and Audit
- Accounts for parent and foreign and domestic subsidiaries, closes the monthly and annual financials and issues reports, slides and other metric communications.
- Manages BSA’s investment accounting and reconciliations.
- Consolidates foreign and domestic entities and organizes, prepares and issues monthly and annual financial statements for senior management and external users.
- Prepares year-end audit work papers, lead schedules, and the audited financial statements including footnotes. Works with external auditors on resolving financial statement classifications and amounts.