Summary: A motivated, experienced certified public accountant (CPA) to lead overall financial operations for Central Union Mission. The candidate must have at least seven years of relevant experience and will be responsible for supervising and preparing all aspects of the financial statements including monthly close, financial statement preparation, payroll, annual audit and tax return submission. This includes compliance with regulatory requirements and ensuring that Mission financial policies and procedures reflect best practices.
Reports to the Chief Financial Officer/Chief Operating Officer (CFO/COO)
80% Financial Operations and Administration
· Assist with the monthly close of the financial statements for the Mission and its subsidiaries, including:
o Review reconciliations to the general ledger such as:
§ Accounts Payable
§ Donation Revenues.
o Analytical review of income and expense.
o Preparation of summarized results for the period.
· Assist with the preparation of reporting requirements with outside agencies such as financial institutions and the Federal Home Loan Bank.
· Help develop budgeting and financial processes to better improve the Mission budgeting and financial statement preparation process.
· Knowledge of current financial reporting requirements and ability to adopt, as required.
· Coordinates the annual audit and tax return preparation.
· Supervises all aspects of the payroll function including management of staff, coordination with Human Resources and ensuring forms are filed and accurate.
· Assist department leaders to understand their budgets and the status of their department operations versus budget.
· Establish or assist in the establishment and attainment of financial procedures, goals and objectives for the Mission.
· Prepare or review specific account analysis on an ad hoc basis.
20% Compliance and ad hoc
· Ensure that all regulatory filings are made on a timely basis, including tax returns, state donor solicitation and financial filings.
· Work with human resources to ensure that all appropriate reporting is performed.
· Provide assistance with the analysis of specific Mission programs such as Mission Muffins and Ready to Work.
· Ensure all Mission financial practices are in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles. (GAAP)
· Responsible for insurance compliance and annual renewals.
· Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting and a certified public accountant (CPA) with current license.
· Minimum of 7 years progressive, technical accounting or financial experience.
· Experienced supervisor and team builder.
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
· Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
· Proven financial close experience and ability to work among disciplines and foster strong team environment.
· Ability to work on multiple, complex projects simultaneously and see them to completion with minimal supervision.
· Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
· Effectively present information to groups and respond to questions from managers, supervisors and employees.
· Excellent computer skills including Excel, Word, Power Point, Quickbooks and Paycom.
· Committed Christian and active member of a Christian church. Agreement with Mission’s Statement of Faith required.
About Central Union Mission:
Central Union Mission is a faith-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization and the oldest private social service agency in Washington, DC. In addition to its emergency shelter, which provides over 62,000 bed-nights each year, the Mission operates a holistic, Christ-centered transformation and workforce development program for men, provides benefits for veterans, helps people overcome addictions, operates a food and clothing distribution center which provides food for over 4000 people each month, runs a camp for underprivileged children, and offers a ministry to families and senior citizens.