Are you interested in making a world of difference in cancer care?
Cancer strikes more than 10 million people worldwide each year. As the leading medical society representing doctors who care for people with cancer, the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) is committed to conquering cancer through research, education, and promotion of the highest quality, equitable patient care.
Who we are:
ASCO is a flexible, high-performance membership organization where employees collaborate to support our mission through evidence, care, and impact. Together with Conquer Cancer, the ASCO Foundation and CancerLinQ colleagues, we foster a culture that prioritizes customer-centricity, emphasizes teamwork, commits to quality, and values inclusion. Our culture, ASCO Works – Our Way of Working, has long enabled workplace flexibility and embraced technology to help us achieve balance.
ASCO offers competitive salaries, an excellent benefits package, and opportunities to participate in professional development programs.
Who we are looking for:
ASCO is in search of a Director, Accounting Services to join our Finance team. The selected candidate will oversee the accounting groups, systems, processes, and policies for all financial transactions including but not limited to, procure to pay, vendor management, member and customer billing, collections, and revenue recognition, and payroll to assure timely and accurate recording of transactions in the financial system.
This position is remote eligible or primary location in Alexandria, VA.
What you will do:
- Manage, train, coach, and develop the Revenue Operations, Accounts Payable and Payroll teams
- Provide department strategy that includes process improvements and establishing functional objectives in line with ASCO’s strategic plan.
- Ensure transactions are recorded in compliance with GAAP. Ensure processes and policies are compliant with company accounting policies, internal controls.
- Monitor the month-end close progress, handle exceptions, and ensure proper cut off.
- Interface with external auditors in collaboration with General Ledger team.
- Oversee follow-up on reconciliations of accounts receivable, deferred revenue, unapplied payments, accounts payable, and payroll general ledger accounts. Verify vendor and customer accounts are current. Investigate unsuccessful transactions and identify strategies to train team on preventing future occurrences or repeated errors.
- Collaborate with departments responsible for products, ensure ASCO products are correctly set up in the catalog, and reflect appropriate account distribution and connection with the appropriate fulfillment platform (or microservice).
- Review and approve bi-weekly payroll, partner with Human Resources to ensure new benefits, processes, or other changes to the payroll system are set up appropriately. Serve as back up for payroll processing.
- Contribute to the implementation of new business processes including testing of new systems, validation of data transferred to the new systems, and other tasks related to transitioning various products, customers, suppliers and employees to the new enterprise business solution and future system enhancements.
- Lead collaboration and work with external sales agents to ensure appropriate invoicing, adjustments (if needed), and collection of sales handled by the agent.
- Partner with tax manager to identify transactions that need to be reported as unrelated business income on ASCO’s Form 990 and other tax related issues.
What you will need in order to be successful:
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, or a related field or equivalent years of experience
- 10 years of Accounting management experience within a multi-entity organization
- Multi-state (over 30 states) payroll experience
- Understanding of GAAP requirements and experience preparing for a financial audit
- Financial system transition experience
- 5 years of supervisory experience
Ideal candidates will also contribute:
- MBA or CPA a plus
- Oracle Financial Cloud, Workday
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to build trust and relationships, lead change, and achieve consensus effectively in a complex matrix organization
- Ability to make quality, independent decisions as well as the ability to collaborate effectively to make decisions with other leaders
- Ability to clearly communicate and convey information in different ways to ensure that it is understood, and the ability to articulate complex information in understandable terms to all levels of staff, including non-finance staff
- Excellent time management, ability to meet deadlines, and organizational skills
- Proven project management skills, transformation experience, and knowledge of technology platforms with ability to learn and embrace new technology/systems
- Ability to challenge, motivate, and coach a team to meet departmental goals and build team capabilities to adapt to changes in the product offerings, systems, and accounting guidance
- Highly organized, with excellent attention to detail
Fast-paced office environment with extended periods seated or standing at a desk.
High use of computer and other office technology equipment.
At ASCO, our goal is to foster and encourage a diversity of thought, experience, and background in our workplace. Our organization’s culture is multi-dimensional, and we encourage our employees to leverage their unique perspectives and ideas. ASCO is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).