Corporate Area: CFO Office
Supervisor: VP & Controller
The Sr. Director, Assistant Controller of Accounting Operations will oversee the accounts payable, accounts receivable, and general ledger activities of PBS. This position is responsible for ensuring that vendor invoices are paid in a timely and accurate manner, that all customer invoices are accurate and collected on a timely basis, and that all routine journal entries and balance sheet reconciliations are completed to meet monthly and annual close deadlines. This role is also responsible for maintaining PBS's Accounting policies and procedures manual and working with members of the team to identify and implement innovation into routine processes.
Key responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Manage the Accounts Payable (AP) team to ensure vendor invoices and employee expense reports are paid in a timely and accurate manner and all staff inquiries are addressed in a timely manner. Ensure IRS Form 1099 filings are completed in a timely manner.
- Manage the Accounts Receivable (AR) team to ensure timely and accurate creation of customer invoices, monitoring of outstanding balances is conducted, and collections are completed in a timely basis. Ensure all balances due from parties outside of PBS are reported in the general ledger accounting system.
- Manage the cash receipts process to ensure cash is applied appropriately to outstanding receivables or as revenue.
- Manage General Ledger (GL) staff to ensure that all routine journal entries and balance sheet reconciliations are completed accurately, efficiently, and to meet all monthly and annual close deadlines for both PBS and PBS Foundation.
- Ensure proper internal controls are in place and followed in the AR, AP, and GL processes.
- Ensure that all routine transactions are timely and accurately recorded and reported in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Review and prepare audit schedules as required for routine areas.
- Represent Accounting on all updates and/or implementations of any systems that impact Accounting (e.g., ERP, payables, etc.).
- Continually analyze processes and procedures of the AR, AP, and GL teams to identify ways to improve efficiency and become less reliant on manual processes. Work with team members and other PBS departments to implement change and improvement to allow for efficiency and more productivity.
- Control access, authorities, and interfaces into the accounting system to ensure appropriate segregation of duties and internal control.
- Create, update, and implement accounting policies and procedures.
- Provide strong customer service on an individual basis or through team members by responding to all inquiries in an accurate and timely manner from internal and external individuals.
- Develop and foster productive working relationships within the accounting team, with finance and budgeting team members, and with program staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements for success:
- 8 years of work experience in public accounting and/or experience with general operations of a non-profit or other corporate entity; a combination of both is preferable. Experience should include at least 5 years of management responsibilities, including the supervision of general ledger, AR, and AP duties. Experience with not-for-profit institutions preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business administration, or related field. CPA preferred.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), especially as it relates to routine transactions.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Applications. Microsoft AX and D365 a plus.
- Experience implementing an ERP package or other SaaS solutions for A/P or A/R and related process and workflow changes.
- Ability to take ownership to minimize errors; ability to communicate corrections or changes in a proactive and productive manner.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills (written and verbal); ability to communicate proactively regarding project status, barriers, and possible solutions.
- Demonstrated experience in being a strong team player in addition to managing, developing, and empowering staff.
- Highly organized with ability to complete multiple high priority tasks within set deadlines.
- Comfortable with change, and able to react to change productively and resolve conflicts.
- Ability to accurately apply professional knowledge, skills, expertise, and judgment to achieve excellent customer service in all interactions.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work well with fellow team members and build gaps in relationships between divisions.
- Must have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccination by date of hire to be considered. Proof of vaccination required.
Apply here: https://www.pbs.org/about/careers/?gnk=job&gni=8a7887a8821e19b30182210162a4353f&gns=GWSCPA#open-positions
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer in accordance with the EEOC and the Commonwealth of Virginia.