The National Alcohol Beverage Control Association (NABCA), located in Arlington, VA was founded in 1938 and is the national trade association representing the political jurisdictions that directly control the distribution and sale of beverage alcohol within their borders. NABCA’s mission is to support and benefit alcohol control systems by providing research, fostering relationships, and managing resources to address policy for the responsible sale and consumption of beverage alcohol.
NABCA has an immediate opening for an Accountant I. Reporting to the Accounting Supervisor, the Accountant I has primary responsibility for accounts payable and accounts receivable transactions and processes, as well as various general ledger responsibilities to include monthly journal entries and reconciliations. This position will also be the primary point of contact for the association’s digital payment application and will assist with development and rollout of a new Chart of Accounts.
NABCA offers employees a hybrid work schedule (with free parking) in a beautiful office building conveniently located in the Shirlington area one block from shops, popular restaurants, gym, etc. The Accountant I will be an integral part of an Accounting Team of 4—CFO, Director, Supervisor and will be a part of a team of exceptionally talented colleagues!
Under the supervision of the Accounting Supervisor, the Accountant I performs a variety of duties, including:
- Reviews, codes and enters all vendor invoices, check requests, and travel vouchers for accuracy and completeness; ensures that supporting documentation is received and manager approvals are obtained.
- Processes vendor invoices through Sage 100 or Beanworks electronic accounts payable system.
- Prepares electronic travel vouchers and distributes via email to various NABCA constituents for multiple meetings, conferences, etc. (Annual Conference, Administrator’s Conference, Legal Symposium, national/international travel, etc.).
- Sets up new a/p vendors; maintains vendor W-9 forms; processes end-of-year 1099 and 1096 forms using Aatrix through Sage 100.
- Promptly researches and responds to staff, vendor, member inquiries regarding the status of payments; maintains accounts payable records for archiving and retrieval.
- Enters payments (received via check or ACH) for outstanding NABCA invoices in NABCA’s membership database (ClearVantage); verifies and exports daily payment batches from ClearVantage to Sage 100 general ledger.
- Serve as the primary contact for delinquent invoice collections.
- Function as secondary contact for creating and sending NABCA dues and product invoices.
- Process credit card payments for various services, as well as credit card refunds, both on an as needed basis.
Corporate Credit Card
- Reconciles the corporate credit card account on a monthly basis; follows up on refunds and/or adjustments; ensures that all receipts are provided from staff and any discrepancies are resolved.
- Posts journal entries for the corporate credit card following CFO approval.
- Participates in monthly closing activities; prepares journal entries and reconciliations for prepaids, accruals, etc. for review and approval.
- Provides support and is present for the annual audit.
- Assists with the annual budget process.
- Completes other responsibilities and ad-hoc requests as needed (i.e., program reconciliation, research, reports, etc.).
- Special projects as assigned.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Economics, Finance or related field and a minimum of two years of accounts payable and accounts receivable experience are required. Five years of directly relevant a/p and a/r experience + accounting coursework may be substituted for the degree requirement.
- Experience with Sage 100 or similar accounting system and with Bean works or similar electronic accounts payable system are required. Exposure to or familiarity with chart of accounts conversion is a plus.
- Intermediate proficiency with Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Teams, and Microsoft Office products required. Experience with ClearVantage or similar AMS or membership database is strongly preferred. Exposure to association dues and subscription billing processes a plus.
- Experience reconciling corporate credit card accounts, preparing journal entries, and supporting the monthly closing process is strongly preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills are required. The ability to explain the fundamentals of a/p and a/r transactions and processes in ways that can be easily understood by management, staff, vendors, etc. is essential. Excellent telephone manner is essential. Experience communicating with members, subscribers, customers, etc. via email and/or phone regarding the status of outstanding invoices is strongly preferred.
- Initiative, strong organizational skills, and the ability to manage multiple projects are essential. Must have excellent analytical skills, possess exceptional attention to detail and be able to produce accurate work
- Must be a team player with strong interpersonal skills and a positive personality. Sound judgement and discretion are essential for the individual in this role. Must be resourceful and able to quickly learn NABCA’s systems. The ability to learn and implement new accounting features, tools and technologies without creating new a/p and a/r errors or problems is essential.
FLSA Status: Exempt
To Apply: NABCA offers competitive salaries and generous employee benefits. Interested individuals should send resume, cover letter, and salary expectations to: firstname.lastname@example.org by September 2, 2022. Learn more about NABCA at www.nabca.org
NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE