Accounting Manager, Revenue, Arabella Finance (Durham, NC or Washington, DC)
You are mission-driven and action-oriented. You love to get involved and work as part of a team to accomplish something great. You value diversity, equity, and inclusion and are eager to put those values into practice. Any job is your job if it helps the team succeed, and you thrive on variety. Today, you’re looking for a role where you can use those traits to make a real difference in the world by advancing the most important social issues facing humanity today.
Arabella Advisors seeks a dynamic and enthusiastic individual to join our Corporate Finance team. The position reports to the Controller and will be responsible for the timely and accurate preparation of financial information. The right candidate has strong technical accounting and outstanding client service skills, operates independently with minimal direction, and enjoys working in a fast paced, mission-driven environment.
- Manage the contract review process including evaluation of revenue recognition treatment in accordance with ASC 606
- Direct the monthly revenue close process including review of transactions, journal entries and accrued and deferred revenue reconciliations
- Ensure accuracy of financial statements in accordance with GAAP
- Align resources across the Revenue team, including appropriate delegation of tasks
- Manage and develop direct reports
- Serve as liaison to client service and sales enablement teams for revenue recognition reporting, guidance and training
- Continuously review, improve and implement processes and procedures and document changes
- Collaborate with cross-team stakeholders to streamline workflows
- Provide support for annual audit
- Partner with Controller on special projects
To Be Successful in This Role, You’ll Need:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting
- Five or more years of relevant professional experience
- Experience supervising a team
- Currently have or pursuing a CPA license
- Strong understanding of U.S. GAAP and internal controls
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Outlook, Word)
- A strong worth ethic; be well-organized and a self-starter
- A solid analytical and problem-solving skillset
- A drive to raise process efficiency issues and collaborate with team members to implement solutions
- Excellent verbal and written communication, including the ability to report on complex data in an easily understandable manner
- A customer service mindset
- The ability to work independently and within teams in a fast-paced and high-volume environment with an emphasis on accuracy and timeliness
- The ability to manage and make progress on multiple projects simultaneously
Other Highly Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience with accounting software (Microsoft GP a plus)
Our Core Competencies:
- The ability to provide excellent service, including being able to effectively manage resources, create and implement enhancements across the firm to efficiently achieve service standards, and to coach junior teammates on how to address complex service challenges
- The ability to oversee and advise on multiple complex projects, including encouraging workflow and work plan innovations, and ensuring deliverables are high-quality and meet clients’ needs.
- The ability to coach colleagues in how to understand stakeholders’ perspectives and to handle high-level stakeholder challenges
- The ability to effectively communicate difficult messages, to represent the firm to external audiences, and to mentor colleagues in how to adapt style, tone, and content to various audiences
- The ability to help teams overcome collaboration challenges and promote compromise, inclusion, and openness; promote and lead activities that support an open, safe, and inclusive organization; understand the context in which we work and build critical cross-team connections; and share useful knowledge firm wide
- The ability to regularly integrate learnings to improve team operations, to lead learning opportunities that enhance team performance, and to be a mentor to others
- The ability to empower teammates to solve problems and provide guidance only when necessary; to solve complex challenges without clear owners or solutions by identifying innovative approaches; and to facilitating coordination with others and to coach colleagues in thinking through solutions
- The ability to create space for and/or facilitate conversations about DEI, bring diverse networks and relationships to the firm, and model leading through one’s own learning edges
About Arabella Advisors
Arabella Advisors helps foundations, philanthropists and investors who are serious about impact achieve the greatest good with their resources. We work on issues ranging from the social and economic advancement of women and girls, and conservation of our climate and planet, to reducing poverty and inequity in the United States and around the world. Our staff members are mission-driven and action-oriented, and have a unique combination of experience in philanthropy, business, nonprofits, government, finance, law, and other fields. We combine creative, strategic thinking with knowledge and networks developed through decades of hands-on experience. The fastest-growing philanthropic advisory firm in the nation, Arabella is also a certified B Corporation.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
Advancing DEI within our firm and in our work with partners is critical to our mission. To be effective partners to philanthropists, nonprofits, and communities impacted by philanthropic dollars, we need to have a highly diverse staff, a workplace where individuals are encouraged to retain their uniqueness and can feel a sense of belonging, and a nuanced understanding of the racial, ethnic, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability status, and other disparities that undergird the issues we engage in and the interactions we have with one another. For us, equity means that our staff members, our clients, and the people they serve can experience the same level of success, no matter their starting place. We expect all our employees to share this commitment, and always seek ways to improve how well we live these values. Click here
to learn more about DEI at Arabella and read our official DEI statement.
Total Rewards (compensation and benefits)
This is a full-time position. We offer a competitive and holistic total rewards package that includes salary, bonus, and benefits. Our base salaries are based on a blend of similar sized organizations from different sectors, including nonprofits, foundations, and professional service firms. They are also based on local market rates and differentiated by geography.
All full-time staff are eligible for our generous benefits package on their first day of employment:
- Health insurance- On average Arabella pays 86% of the medical premium, 80% of the dental premium, and 100% of the vision premium
- Paid time off- 16 days’ vacation, 10 personal days, 11 company holidays (7 federal and 4 more from a list of inclusive cultural and religious holidays and your birthday), 20 hours’ volunteer leave, 8 weeks’ parental leave
- 401(k) retirement plan- We offer a 4% employer match on a dollar-per-dollar basis, and there is no waiting or vesting period; all funds contributed by you and Arabella are yours to keep on day 1
- Reimbursements for your personal cell phone plan and fitness
- Pre-tax withholding for transportation and parking
- Bonus incentive opportunities
- Access to professional development opportunities
Working with Us
While this position must be based in Durham, NC or Washington, DC. Please note that all Arabella Advisors’ offices have reopened, and we work in a hybrid environment.
We reopened our offices in Summer of 2022 and work with a hybrid workplace strategy to ensure continued flexibility for our staff, while deepening our strong culture rooted in collaboration and in-person interactions between colleagues. We expect that after their initial onboarding, all Arabellans will have the choice of two hybrid schedules. Our hybrid schedule options include Flex, with 1-2 days per week in the office, or Office-based, with 3+ days per week in the office (or more if preferred) and the remaining days working at home/remotely. We will make reasonable accommodations under the guidelines of the Americans With Disabilities Act.
To center the safety and well-being of its employees, Arabella Advisors requires that any employee who is required to conduct in-person activities for their job must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 within four weeks of their start date. This position may require candidates to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Accommodations may be sought and approved in accordance with the law.
How to Apply
Submit a resume and a one-page cover letter online. The cover letter should address why you’re excited to work at Arabella and why you’re qualified for this specific job.
Arabella Advisors is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to racial equity. If we can make the application process easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please let us know.
We encourage you to read (or listen to) our DEI statement
prior to applying. We make a particular effort to recruit people of color and members of marginalized groups to apply for open positions. Once you have applied, we welcome your feedback on how you have experienced our values around DEI in the recruitment process.