DEADLINE TO APPLY: Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
LOCATION: Washington, D.C. preferred, but remote candidates will be considered.
The Land Trust Alliance is the voice of the land trust community. As the national leader in policy, standards and education, we work passionately to support land trusts across America so they can save more land and better serve their communities.
Our natural places and working lands are a lifeline to clean air, water, food and good health. These lands also bring us together, inspire us and provide opportunities to recreate and recharge. The land trust community is a crucial component in this equation. With important places under continual threat, land trusts need access to the best tools, information, and policy advocates. Armed with a diverse network and valuable resources, the Alliance is the land trust community’s source for the knowledge and capabilities they need to reach their goals. From tax and funding policies on Capitol Hill to innovative ideas, partnerships and initiatives, we ensure our land trust members can always be heard and achieve more.
The Alliance is seeking to elevate land conservation as a priority nationwide. We envision a reenergized, more relevant conservation movement in which land trusts join with partners that have not traditionally identified as conservation organizations, including from the for-profit sector, around our shared interest of protecting special places.
The Senior Accountant is responsible for supporting a range of accounting processes to include accounts payable, payroll, cash receipts and disbursements, general ledger management, and account reconciliation of multiple revenue streams, including grants, contracts, etc. The Senior Accountant will support and may lead financial operating duties in support of a timely and accurate month-end close and year end close with a focus on adhering to best practices and effective internal controls in the financial accounting for the Alliance and its affiliate organizations.
- Gather, record, review, analyze, and reconcile financial and accounting data.
- Prepare reconciliations of basic and complex general ledger accounts to ensure accurate reporting and general ledger maintenance.
- Oversight of month end, quarter end, and year end closing activities.
- Responsible for performing bank reconciliations ensuring compliance with internal controls.
- Maintains general ledger accounts.
- Prepares, reviews and maintains general ledger account schedules for the Alliance and its subsidiaries.
- Leads audit review processes and filing activities. Prepares and reviews documentation for external auditors.
- Supports or oversees various accounts payable and expense reporting activities, including annual 1099 and 1096 reporting.
- Maintains strong internal controls including timely preparation of account reconciliations.
- Leads various payroll related activities, including payroll processing, reconciling payroll related accounts as required.
- Processes journal entries in compliance with GAAP accounting standards and internal controls. This includes fixed asset acquisition and depreciation expensing prepaid transactions and recording expense accruals.
- Maintains and reconcile intracompany related accounts and balances.
- Manages various cash receipts and disbursement processes including batch processing and reconciliations. May oversee disbursements, including manual checks, wires and ACHs
- Coordinates and supports program staff, financial, and accounting related inquiries and tasks.
- Assists in the transition of the financial, accounting systems, AP, and AR systems.
- Trains new Alliance employees on financial operations policies and procedures, including corporate credit cards, cash disbursement and cash receipt processes
- Identifies accounting issues or potential issues and research them.
- Provide recommendations for implementing process improvements, creating workflow efficiencies, and cost savings techniques.
- Ensure the integrity of accounting information by verifying and recording transactions.
- Performs other related duties and participates in special projects as assigned.
· Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or similar degree
· CPA certification
· 7 years of direct accounting experience. Significant experience with not-for-profit organizations required.
· Knowledge of GAAP and not-for-profit accounting principles, practices and regulations
· Familiarity with intracompany transactions and reconciliations
· Familiarity with grants or project management preferred.
· Experience managing external audit requests
· Experience with revenue recognition standards
· Familiarity with Great Plains, Sage Insight, and/or NetSuite strongly desired.
· Experience preparing and processing payroll preferred
· Strong attention to detail
· Ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
· Ability to handle sensitive and confidential financial issues with discretion
· Ability to employ critical thinking, good judgment, and maintain confidentiality of information
· Personal and professional integrity and high level of accountability
· Proficient in the use Microsoft Office applications.Exceptional Excel skills including V Lookups and Pivot tables
The budgeted salary range for this position is $80,000 – $87,000 commensurate with skills, years of experience, and unique background and qualifications of the candidate.
The Land Trust Alliance offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes, but is not limited to, medical, dental, vision, and other health coverage; life and disability insurance; paid time off including vacation, sick and multiple holidays, and 403(b) retirement benefits.
Send resume and cover letter, via email to email@example.com. If email is not an option, applications will be accepted by mail to Human Resources, Land Trust Alliance, 1250 H St, NW, Suite 600, Washington, DC 20005.
The Land Trust Alliance’s mission is to save the places people need and love by strengthening land conservation across America. The Land Trust Alliance is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability or marital status.