About the Role
The Controller is responsible for managing the day-to-day accounting operations and activities. They will effectively utilize and manage Finance staff to accomplish department activities and goals; provide financial reports and analysis with oversight of the Managing Director, Operations; assist in managing the annual budget; and manage and audit processes for AIHA and related entities. The goal is for the new Controller to join AIHA during the last week of March or first week of April.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages the development of the annual budgets along with the Budget Managers and Finance Staff.
- Supervises the consolidation of the annual budget and financial forecast data as received from all groups into unified reports.
- Serves as a resource to staff budget managers to effectively manage cost and revenue allocations and requests for new program accounts.
- Oversees tagging and tracking of fixed assets and capital. In coordination with other members of staff, maintains records and ensures appropriate disposal of records.
- Is responsible for the timely and accurate preparation of all financial statements that summarize and forecast association activity and financial position in areas of income, expenses, and earnings based on past, present, etc.
- Provides preliminary financial analysis to Managing Director, Operations for a wide variety of programmatic areas.
- Assures that standard accounting procedures and internal controls are adhered to.
- Coordinate and manage the preparation of tax returns, 990s, 990ts, 1099/1096, personal property tax, and sales tax returns. Ensures that tax regulations are adhered to.
- Coordinate and manage submittal of grant reimbursements and reports.
- Oversees establishment of new accounts in financial software
- In coordination with Managing Director, Operations, provides essential data and information for Board decision making.
- Develops and implements cost allocation policies necessary to carry out activity-based costing.
- Coordinates and supervises all accounting and internal audit functions for cash receipts, accounts payable, and payroll to ensure that accounting records, financial statements, and reports accurately reflect the financial status and operations of the organization.
- Oversees annual audit of AIHA corporations (1 c6, 2 c3s, and 3 LLCs)
- Monitors and reconciles either directly or through Finance Staff, all bank accounts in accordance with established policies
- Sets up wire payments as needed for approval by Managing Directors
- Monitors cash funds to ensure funds are available for operations and check runs
- Transfers funds between organizations’ checking accounts as needed and informs Managing Director, Operations when excess funds available for transfer to investment account.
- In coordination with HR Generalist, ensures the timely and accurate processing of payroll and payroll related activities.
- Supervises finance department
- Maintains a first-class staff team in coordination with supervisor, which may include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and all applicable laws
- Effectively and thoroughly communicate short and long-term goals as well as a shared vision with direct reports
- Develops direct reports through personal development plans and cross-functional assignments, delegates projects and responsibilities for achieving goals to staff
Education & Experience
- Master’s degree preferred; Bachelor’s degree required in relevant area
- At least 10 years’ experience in Accounting/Finance
- At least 5 years’ supervisory experience
- CPA required
- Working knowledge of accounting software, currently Great Plains, PN3, Solver
- Working experience with Sage Intacct
- At least 7 years’ work experience in professional membership organization or association
To Truly Excel, You Will:
- Maintain a focus on keeping projects and people organized and moving towards a common goal/deadline while also maintaining standards and best practices
- Possess strong customer service and interpersonal skills
- Have strong organizational skills, attention to detail, follow-through, and the ability to multi-task
- Have experience in leading project teams
- Be a quick learner who isn’t afraid of technology
- Be able to work independently, manage groups of volunteers and co-workers, and establish/meet deadlines
Travel to our annual conference and/or a Board of Directors meeting is anticipated for this position.
Remote Work & Residency Requirement
This position is eligible to work remotely most of the time. From time to time, it may be required to come into the office based on business needs. For the initial training period, it is anticipated this role will be in the office one time a week, minimum. After that, this person will need to come into the office two times per month or more as business needs dictate. Reasonable flexibility is available for the right candidate.
Based on our business set-up and to maximize remote work opportunities, AIHA only employs individuals who live in Washington, DC, Maryland, or Virginia. To be considered a candidate must live in, or be willing to relocate to, Washington, DC, Maryland, or Virginia.
AIHA requires all members of staff to be fully vaccinated from COVID-19 and present proof of vaccination status. Requests for exemptions from this requirement due to a medical condition or sincerely-held religious belief or practice will be considered. AIHA follows the CDC’s definition of “fully vaccinated.”
Salary & Benefits
The pay for this position ranges from $135k - $160k based on experience and qualifications for the role. AIHA offers comprehensive health, dental and vision benefits partially funded by the organization. We also offer a 401(k) match, FSA, Life & AD&D, STD, LTD, flexible scheduling, telecommute options, and paid: holiday, personal, sick, and vacation leave. AIHA believes in developing our employees, so we provide professional development opportunities (internally and externally) and tuition reimbursement.
If this job sounds interesting and you have the experience needed, please submit a cover letter and resume via our Career’s Page (https://theapplicantmanager.com/careers?co=ah).