BSA | The Software Alliance is the leading advocate for the global software industry before governments and in the international marketplace. Its members are among the world’s most innovative companies, creating software solutions that spark the economy and improve modern life. With headquarters in Washington, DC and operations in more than 60 countries around the world, BSA pioneers compliance programs that promote legal software use and advocates for public policies that foster technology innovation and drive growth in the digital economy.
The Assistant Controller is a key leader in BSA’s annual planning and budget processes. The position will also manage BSA’s financial accounting and reporting systems, multinational transactions, foreign currencies, closes the monthly and annual financial books, prepares company consolidations and internal and external reporting including audited financial statements. This role will also assist in monitoring BSA’s investments. BSA is a collaborative work environment. The ideal candidate will both provide leadership and be able to work well as a member of a team.
The Assistant Controller reports to the Controller with dotted line responsibilities to the CFO for a broad range of strategic financial planning, annual budgeting and special projects. The position is responsible for accounting systems management, General Ledger accounting and reporting and supervises staff accountant(s).
Professional Experience and Qualifications:
- Masters of Accountancy and CPA required.
- At least eight years of relevant experience to include accounting systems noted below, general ledger, foreign currency accounting, subsidiary accounting, foreign company consolidations, monthly and annual accruals, close and reporting, audit preparation and documentation.
- Ability to manage and prioritize competing projects to completion under pressing deadlines in a team environment.
- Experience managing staff and/or interns to support completion of assignments and projects.
- Ability to work independently, as needed, on assigned projects and keep interested staff advised of progress and status versus deadline.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to communication effectively with worldwide staff verbally and in written communicaitons.
- Demonstrated critical thinking and analytical skills to recognize and resolve pending systems and accounting challenges.
- Experience with foreign and domestic accounting transactions.
Budgeting and Projections
- Maintains and upgrades budgeting, projection, and monthly financial reporting systems.
- Maintains and upgrades the General Ledger account structure to accumulate and report financial results by country, regions, critical markets and initiative.
- Supports the CFO in monthly and annual reporting, projections and planning/budgeting processes.
- Uploads budgets to the accounting system and controls and tracks budget changes.
- Engages and controls external programmers developing ‘real time’ financial reporting system upgrades from project inception to completion.
- Consolidates detailed program and budgets and reports and communicates results and status to BSA managers.
Accounting and reporting systems
- Implements and manages the financial accounting and reporting systems (Microsoft Great Plains Dynamics, Budget Maestro, On-line reports), and keeps them up-to-date and ensures data integrity and accuracy.
- Acts as the project manager for systems upgrades and modifications, working with external consultants as needed.
- Manages the General Ledger account structure to capture and report changes in the organizational structure.
Financial Accounting, Reporting and Audit
- Accounts for parent and foreign and domestic subsidiaries, closes the monthly and annual financials and issues reports, slides and other metric communications.
- Manages BSA’s investment accounting and reconciliations.
- Consolidates foreign and domestic entities and organizes, prepares and issues monthly and annual financial statements for senior management and external users.
- Prepares year-end audit work papers, lead schedules, and the audited financial statements including footnotes. Works with external auditors on resolving financial statement classifications and amounts.
- With the Controller, develops strategy for pending lease accounting changes.
- Researches accounting transactions and prepares analysis, edits and correcting entries and prepares journal entries to post to the accounting system.
- Reconciles general ledger income and balances sheet accounts.
- Measures and accounts for transactions denominated in foreign currency and calculates their effect on BSA’s accounts.
- Works with foreign accountants in the management of foreign subsidiaries.
- Supervises the preparation of monthly/annual close journal entries and accruals
- Works with accounting staff to improve accounting procedures, internal controls and data base management.
- Works independently but keeps the Controller and CFO advised of pending systems, accounting, closing, data integrity, and reporting issues.
- Assists CFO and Controller on special projects and completes other tasks and duties as assigned; Trains and directs accounting interns on budgeting and reporting tasks.
About BSA Benefits:
BSA recognizes that benefits play an important role in your selection of an employer. We offer generous benefits including many unique benefits and perks to our employees in locations around the world and encourage everyone to live a healthy, balanced life. Our comprehensive benefits include:
- Generous health, disability and life insurance
- Exceptional 401k plan employer contributions
- Year-end office shut down between Christmas and New Year’s
- Three weeks’ paid sabbatical every five years
- Generous paid maternity and bonding leave
- Emergency backup child care
- Health/Fitness and Financial/Tax Advice allowance
- Professional development, continuing education (including tuition reimbursement) and training
- Casual dress
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the position title and location in your Subject Line.
BSA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity. We embrace and reflect diversity in our staff and seek skilled individuals who are motivated and passionate about the industry, our work and expansive community.
Thank you for your interest in career opportunities at BSA | The Software Alliance!