American Progress is looking for a tech-savvy financial controller to work closely with the Vice President of Finance to lead the organization’s financial accounting team, including corporate accounting, regulatory and financial reporting, and monthly variance analysis, as well as development and enforcement of internal control policies and procedures.
- Manage all accounting operations including billing, accounts receivable, accounts payable, general ledger, cost accounting, and revenue recognition for review by the Vice President of Finance.
- Lead month-end and year-end close process while identifying opportunities to simplify and automate where possible.
- Prepare and publish timely monthly financial statements and develop a comprehensive, online delivery of real-time financial data to all stakeholders.
- Monitor and report on all budget variances to team owners.
- Research technical accounting issues for compliance.
- Ensure quality control over financial transactions and financial reporting.
- Manage and comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings.
- Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls.
- Additional duties as necessary.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Proven work experience as an assistant controller or controller.
- At least five years of overall combined accounting and finance experience.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in accounting.
- Licensure as a certified public accountant required, licensure as a certified management accountant preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of accounting principles and procedures.
- Experience with general ledger functions and the month-end and year-end close process.
- Excellent accounting software and administration skills.
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: email@example.com.
Or you may write to: Center for American Progress, 1333 H St. NW, 10th Floor, Washington, D.C., 20005.
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title and department of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.