POSITION TITLE: Staff Accountant
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
UPDATED: July 5, 2017
The Senior Accountant will facilitate day-to-day accounting operations. This highly visible, hands-on position will lead the month-end closing process, and annual financial audit while advising staff and business operations on accounting compliance.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Facilitate day-to-day accounting operations including: accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll processing, GL journal entries.
· Record payroll entries from employee timesheets and Paychex reports.
· Reconcile employee benefits.
· Review all credit card charges and reconciliations of monthly credit card statements to expense vouchers and support.
· Ensure timely accounts payable processing, close and month-end accruals.
· Record month-end accruals and allocations.
· Reconcile grants, accounts payable and accounts receivable sub ledgers.
· Perform monthly account reconciliations for all balance sheet accounts.
· Perform monthly bank reconciliations for further review.
· Verify that transactions comply with standard financial and accounting policies and procedures.
· Prepare annual 1099 & 1096 forms as well as copies to DC.
· Oversee the document destruction and retention policy.
· Perform special projects as assigned.
· Ensure compliance with all Federal regulatory requirements.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE & SKILL REQUIRED:
· Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance is required. CPA is strongly preferred.
· 3-5 years of prior accounting experience, and grants management. Experience in a non-profit organization is preferred.
- Comprehensive understanding of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), standards, and procedures.
· Strong attention to detail and excellent problem solving and organizational skills.
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite, including Word and strong Excel.
- Strong working knowledge of QuickBooks and Paychex payroll software preferred.
· Professional presentation and conduct; excellent communication skills with outside vendors and other internal departments.
- Excellent time management and ability to prioritize in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- The willingness and desire to work independently, as well as collaboratively, and to take on additional responsibilities.
· Outstanding follow-up and tracking skills in addition to the ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects.
This position is located in the Washington, DC office and is primarily sedentary in nature with the ability to lift up to 20 pounds on occasion.
Pleasesendyour resumeand coverletter in attachment form email@example.com withthesubjectline,“DCPCA Staff Accountant.” Onlycompetitivecandidates will becontacted and invitedto participatein theselection process.No phone callsplease. Applicationsareaccepted until theposition isfilled.