Summary of Responsibilities
Councilor, Buchanan & Mitchell, P.C. (CBM), an accounting and business advisory firm that serves clients throughout Washington, DC, Baltimore and the Mid-Atlantic region, is currently seeking a dedicated senior tax professional with 8+ years of public accounting and tax experience to work primarily on compilation/review and tax engagements for our clients. This position will have a fast promotion track to becoming part of the management team.
· Manages tax related processes, procedures and team.
· Prepares personal and corporate tax returns, including the most complex cases.
· Reviews and approves all returns with the exception of those dealing with specialized issues requiring the expertise of another manager or director.
· Reviews tax accruals and associated working papers.
· Assumes the responsibility for the smooth flow of tax returns. Acts as director-in-charge for a variety of clients. Acts as key client for a variety of engagements. Bills clients and discusses fees with clients.
· Prepares BNA projections and becomes involved in planning for more complex clients.
· Becomes involved in tax planning for less complex client situations.
· Analyzes IRS notices and drafts responses.
· Reviews IRS notice responses prepared by other tax personnel.
· Represents clients before the IRS.
· Communicates tax developments to firm.
· Performs more complex tax research and reviews research projects of others.
· Assists accounting and auditing staff members in client meetings.
· Delegates work to and manages work of tax staff, senior tax accountants and tax supervisors and supervises work.
· Participates in tax department administrative projects.
· Works with directors to establish standards for the tax staff and evaluates and counsels tax staff members.
· Acts as a resource for tax staff and senior tax accountants, tax supervisors and tax managers.
· Contributes to the client service team by producing quality work with quick turnaround and attentive service.
· Develops a general understanding of firm philosophy and tax opinions.
· Establishes good working relationships with all directors and staff members.
· Demonstrates initiative, creativity, and imagination.
· Possesses time management and organization skills.
· Demonstrates industry expertise.
· Assists with recruitment and training of other tax department personnel.
· Develops entrepreneurial approach to client service and good working relationships with client personnel.
· Maintains contacts with peers, develops network of business contacts, meets with prospective clients, and cultivates referrals.
· Writes articles and makes presentations.
· Develops a broad general knowledge of economic, political, and business conditions.
· Accepts volunteer positions in community organizations.
· Performs such other duties as may be assigned.
· Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or other related program.
· Advanced degree (generally law or master’s in taxation) is strongly desired.
· CPA Certification.
· At least eight years of recent relevant public accounting, tax and review experience.
· At least four years of management experience and ability to lead and develop professional staff.
· Proficiency in use of computers and tax software programs (Document, Practice Management, Engagement, ProSystem fx Tax, QuickBooks, etc.)
· Ability to manage multiple client engagements and prioritize work.
At CBM, it is our goal to hire talented, energetic people who are enthusiastic about what they do. We offer a mentorship program to encourage individuals to grow professionally and develop in their careers. CBM offers today’s accounting professionals opportunity for advancement in a fast-paced environment that allows both for professional success and work-life balance.
CBM offers a diverse, flexible work environment and we are proud to offer a competitive salary, a comprehensive benefits package, growth opportunity and a team-oriented office environment.
Salary range: $120,000 - $135,000 based on education and experience.
Become part of a winning team! Apply Now!
** CBM is an Equal Opportunity Employer dedicated to diversity and inclusiveness **
How to apply?
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: SR TAX MANAGER - [First Name] [Last Name]