Job Title: Assistant Controller/Assistant Director, Financial Management Division
Reports to: Controller/Director, Financial Management Division
Job Summary: Responsible for overseeing the daily work operations of ASHP’s accounts payable and accounts receivable work teams, as well as general accounting for the ASHP Research and Education Foundation. Collaborates with Financial Management Division leadership to administer policies and procedures for assigned work teams and accounting functions. Participates in suggesting improvements to the management of the division’s financial and people resources. Partners with other divisions to help ASHP staff achieve financial goals.
- Executes and monitors the progress in the accomplishment of work team goals, objectives and priorities. Responsible for the delivery of annual operating results for the assigned work teams.
- Implements and complies with standard office operating policies, practices and procedures within the assigned work teams. Establishes effective operating policies, practices and procedures to carry out normal work projects within the work teams.
- Recommends items for inclusion in the annual operating budget of the assigned work teams. Monitors and controls actual performance against the annual operating budget.
- Recommends staffing levels and organization structure for the assigned work teams. Participates in the employee training and staff development of subordinate employees and recommends personnel actions for employees. Responsible for setting employee performance objectives, conducting performance reviews and recommending pay actions for direct reports.
Major Job Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Assists in the day-to-day operations of ASHP’s accounting functions (including accounts receivable, accounts payable, and general ledger), automated financial system, and year-end financial reporting.
2. Develops, initiates, and implements improvements to ASHP’s accounting/financial systems. Coordinates changes and improvements to automated financial systems. Act as liaison between the FMD and Information Technology (IT) on matters concerning system failures.
3.Compiles and verifies information during the annual budgeting process. Assists the Controller and Financial/Budget Analyst in preparing annual budget.
4. Assists in the preparation of various financial reports and analyses for ASHP management and the Board of Directors.
Prepares monthly supplemental financial reports for distribution to the Committee on Financial Review.
5. Periodically reviews internal financial records for all ASHP product and services for accuracy.
6.Coordinates monthly closing schedules for general ledger, accounts payable, and accounts receivable functions. Monitors monthly closing of payroll and inventory systems to ensure the collection of required financial data. Investigates any irregularities in payroll and inventory system month-end financial data.
7. Assists in preparing schedules and reports for the year-end audit. Serves as liaison between auditor and ASHP
accountants to ensure the requested information is prepared and delivered accurately and timely. Works with Accounting Manager to prepare Form 990 and 990-T tax returns for Controller’s review.
8. Directly supervises ASHP accounts payable staff, accounts receivable staff, and the Administrative and Accounting Assistant.
9. Performs other duties as assigned.
- Degree in accounting, finance, or business administration.
- CPA, CMA, and/or MBA preferred.
- Requires a minimum of five years’ of experience as an Assistant Controller, Accounting Manager, or similar position.
- Previous experience with non-profit organizations preferred.
- Proven effective supervisory experience.
- Knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting and cost control principles including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Knowledge of federal and state financial regulations and non-profit tax filings, including forms 990 and 990-T.
- Ability to analyze financial data and prepare financial reports, statements and projections.
- Work requires professional written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to motivate teams to produce quality materials within tight timeframes and simultaneously manage multiple projects.
- Comfortable working as a collaborative business partner with ASHP staff.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Great Plains and Personify experience a plus.
- Familiarity with accounts payable systems such as Nexus, Anybill, etc. preferred.