Reports to: Accounting Supervisor
The Senior Accountant will perform monthly general ledger closing through financial statements preparation. This position also performs monthly account analysis functions, prepares general ledger account reconciliations, and supports the month/quarter/year-end general ledger close activities through the year-end audit, with emphasis on projections, accruals, comparison of actuals vs budget. In-depth knowledge and understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and internal controls as applicable to nonprofit organizations is a must.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform regular and recurring accounting functions that require professional competence.
- Perform routine monthly general ledger closing functions through preparation of journal entries, monthly financial statements, and preparation of ad hoc reports.
- Prepare financial analysis, reconciliations, review accounting records, research transactions and create financial reports. Research and collect data to be used in support of transactions recorded in the G/L.
- Perform accurate and timely reconciliations of G/L accounts, bank statements, corporate credit card transactions monthly, and retaining backup documentation for audit trail.
- Coordinate accounting transactions with Human Resources and external Payroll Administrator on payroll and benefits, ensuring compliance for tax filing: 941’s, W2’s and other payroll withholdings and deductions. Reconcile payroll and benefits records to G/L accounts.
- Generate and analyze financial performance data and metrics that reflects organization’s financial performance.
- Apply the financial policies and procedures of the organization.
- Implement record retention policy. Document accounting procedures and transactions that will later be used for financial management, internal control procedures and for review by external auditors.
- Assist with year-end audit planning and execution, and other external audits as needed.
- Provide regular and ad hoc reports, and analytics in compliance with GAAP.
- Determine appropriateness and accuracy of all financial transactions in compliance with GAAP.
- Collaborate with other departments to ensure their needs and the organization’s needs are met promoting a culture of high performance and quality customer service. Work and collaborate with other Finance and functional offices in the development and implementation of PCORI’s financial systems, data quality, financial compliance, and external and internal reporting requirements.
- Cross training in other accounting functions and responsibilities is required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
To view full job description and apply, please click here.