The Accountant is a key team member of the financial and accounting operations of SOS Children’s Villages –USA, with responsibilities ranging from daily accounting tasks to annual regulatory compliance. She/he ensures SOS Policies and Procedures are enforced as well as maintaining accounting records according to general accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
· Accounts Payable Processing – coordinate with departments, resolve open vendor payment issues, process invoices into accounting software, and perform semi-monthly check run with positive pay. Help facilitate staff prepared expense reports and SOS-USA credit card transaction processing. Prepare year-end tax reporting (Form 1099) and maintain W-9s.
· Grant Transfers –coordinate with solicitors and database team to confirm, steward transfer approvals, initiate transfers, resolve discrepancies with international affiliates, maintain records/confirmations, and tracking schedules.
· Maintain cash flow projections, payment projections, and other relevant schedules.
· Assist with monitoring of bank activities through on-line systems.
Accounting month and annual closings:
· Reconciliations – assist with monthly reconciliations of cash transactions and other balance sheet accounts, as needed. Research and resolve concerns/open items and prepare relevant journal entries. Compare contributions database with accounting database to identify and resolve discrepancies.
· Audit and Tax – as requested, provide year-end audit and tax schedules, support prepared-by-client requests, and assist the Finance team with audit/tax coordination.
· Month End Close – prepare journal entries and supporting documentation, maintain fixed asset tracking, monitor accounts, assist departments with reclassifications, and similar tasks.
· Maintain accounting records – maintain vendor files, binders, and other accounting records.
· Process in-house contributions, returns, and update donor database, coordinate with Data Team to resolve questions, and notify relevant solicitor teams as necessary.
· Reporting – assist with schedules prepared for Finance Committee/ Board of Trustees packets; prepare schedules/tables for international partner, and internal reporting of department transactional activity and key performance goals.
· Grant/Donor Reporting – assist with data collection for donors/contributors and donor database updates, as assigned.
· Other financial reporting – prepare reports needed for other financial reporting needs, including insurance audits.
Compliance & Planning:
· State Compliance – manage outsourced state compliance vendor(s) and coordinate information request
· Budget – provide support to the CFO and Directors to maintain and adhere to annual operating budgetary guidelines. Assist with budget templates, consolidation, and import into accounting system.
· Forecasts – prepare templates and schedules for data collection and consolidation during projection and forecasting processes.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
· Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
· 1-3 years administrative and accounting experience preferably.
· In depth knowledge of Non-profit Accounting Principles is a plus.
· Must have analytical experience, be accurate and detailed oriented, well organized and exercise sound judgment in decision-making.
· Must have extensive experience and skilled in the use of software programs such as Microsoft Office and Excel, Blackbaud Financial Edge, SharePoint, and/or a Donor Database background a plus.
Please see our website career section to apply.