The mission of the Catholic Archdiocese of Washington is to spread the light of the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the world. In the faithful pursuit of this mission, the Archdiocese is seeking a Senior Accountant.
The Senior Accountant reports to the Assistant Controller. The primary responsibilities are performing routine accounting tasks, monthly account reconciliations and financial statement preparation and analysis.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Perform a wide range of accounting functions as assigned including, but not limited to weekly accounts payable review, payroll review, bank account reconciliations, accounts receivable monitoring, and other tasks as assigned.
• Prepare journal entries and general ledger account reconciliations for the monthly general ledger close.
• Perform special projects as assigned.
Reporting & Analysis
• Prepare monthly financial statements and reports including supporting schedules, narratives and ‘budget vs. actual’ reports. Proactively research and provide documentation of significant variances.
• Assist with annual budget preparation.
• Assist with the completion of the quarterly reporting package.
• Assist with the annual financial statement preparation and the financial audit.
• Proactive approach to identifying internal control weaknesses or process improvements to enhance efficiencies.
Required Education and Experience
· Bachelor of Science in Accounting. Four years of experience in public accounting preferred or strong general ledger experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· Practicing Catholic is desired but not required.
· Accrual accounting and internal accounting controls.
· Preparation of financial reports and analysis for discussion and decision making.
· Proficient in MS Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
· Experience with Great Plains preferred.
· Organizational skills and strong attention to detail with the ability to prioritize projects and routine tasks.
· Collaborative and friendly work style to interact with other archdiocese groups, e.g., human resources, schools office.
This job operates in an office setting at the archdiocese. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full time position.