We are seeking an exceptionally skilled and detail-oriented full-time Controller who has excellent organizational and interpersonal communication skills, a problem-solving attitude, and the ability to work well independently and as a collaborative team player. Vanguard’s Controller is a key financial manager who carries out company policies, uses initiative to identify fiscal problems, offers possible solutions and takes the lead in bringing about resolution. Qualified candidates will have experience in small business environments and federal government contracting.
As the Controller, you will serve as a member of Vanguard’s corporate management team, lead a small accounting team and report directly to Vanguard’s President & CEO. You will be responsible for the overall administration of fiscal operations, including, but not limited to, accounts receivable, payroll, accounts payable, general ledger, and corporate and client budget development.
Highlights and Responsibilities
- Ensure prompt and accurate monthly, quarterly and year-end close processes, resulting in the preparation of financial statements on a timely basis to be responsive to management’s financial and statutory requirements.
- Participate in the development and forecast of agency and client contract budgets under the direction and supervision of the President, using historical and projected data in budget preparation.
- Prepare and maintain semi-monthly cash flow projections. Monitor day-to-day cash flow requirements for the operating and payroll accounts. Initiate transfers and draws on the company’s credit facilities as needed.
- Manage and supervise day-to-day accounting operations to ensure accurate and timely recording of cash disbursements, payroll transactions, cash receipts, fixed assets and general ledger journal entries in accordance with GAAP.
- Ensure monthly contract invoices are prepared and processed accurately and timely to the respective clients.
- Oversee semi-monthly timekeeping and payroll processing to ensure accuracy and timeliness.
- Manage revenue recognition based on the terms of the company’s prime contracts and subcontracts with federal agencies and the company’s contracts with commercial entities. The company’s contract portfolio includes cost plus, time and materials, fixed price, and commercial retainers.
- Work with project managers to update and monitor revenue projections on a monthly and annual basis.
- Maintain relations with auditors, banks, government agencies and other parties with whom the company transacts business.
- Meet all federal, state and local filing requirements for financial reports and taxes, DC ballpark fee, Maryland’s Annual Report/Personal Property Tax Return, and DC Sales Tax; coordinate with CPA firm to file annual federal and DC franchise taxes.
- Prepare for annual review of the company’s financial statements and coordinate with external CPA firm through completion.
- Prepare the company’s annual Indirect Rate Submission and liaise with audit agency through completion.
- Prepare rate adjustment invoices on all cost-plus contracts. Monitor indirect rates throughout the year and recommend actions to avoid major fluctuations.
- Manage, prepare and review financial components of client and contractor contracts.
- Support financial aspects of the company’s business development activities, including extensive requirements for government proposal submissions.
- Contribute to other client and corporate initiatives as requested and/or needed.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, outgoing individual who loves accounting and enjoys working in a small business, entrepreneurial environment.
Experience should include:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field; CPA license strongly preferred.
- Minimum of five years of accounting experience as a Controller or equivalent. Experience in public accounting setting helpful.
- Knowledge of allowable costs and cost allocation principles for federal government contractors and the cost principles applicable to non-profit organizations. (The company frequently partners with such organizations.)
- Experience with prime contracts and subcontracts with the federal government.
- Experience with GSA schedule contracts.
- Experience with federal government grants and cooperative agreements.
- Experience with assisting project managers in monitoring subcontractor performance against budgeted cost and schedule.
- Experience working with project managers to support accurate budget development and management.
- Experience developing multi-year, multi-task budgets for proposals and client needs.
- Supervisory skills with a focus on developing talents and encouraging growth; collaborative and flexible while always looking to streamline systems.
- Ability and desire to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels, including non-financial managers.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office, specifically Excel (Power Pivot, Dashboards and Macros), Word, and Outlook.
- Advanced knowledge of sophisticated accounting software; proficiency with Microsoft Dynamics Navision preferred.
Salary and Benefits
- Commensurate with experience.
- Excellent benefits, including public transportation subsidy.
Due to the job’s financial requirements, this job will be contingent on a background check.
Vanguard is an equal opportunity employer.
For consideration, please submit cover letter, résumé and salary requirements.
2121 K Street, NW, Suite 650
Washington, DC 20037
Please submit materials online at firstname.lastname@example.org or https://vancomm.mytribehr.com/careers/view/36 .