Do you want to use your finance and taxation related skills to indirectly help conquer cancer and make a difference in the world?
Cancer strikes more than 10 million people worldwide each year. As the leading medical society representing doctors who care for people with cancer, the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) is committed to conquering cancer through research, education, and promotion of the highest quality patient care.
Who we are:
ASCO is a stable, forward-thinking, growing membership organization that operates in a results-oriented work environment in which employees’ evaluation emphasizes performance outcomes. This is an Alexandria, VA position that offers an excellent benefits package and opportunities to participate in professional development programs. To learn more about ASCO, please visit www.asco.org/jobs.
Who we are looking for:
The American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) has an exciting opportunity for a highly-motivated Tax and Finance Manager to have a key role in preparing, organizing, and gathering and accurately reporting financial information required for monthly and annual financial statements, annual audit, tax returns, indirect cost rate development, grant reporting, bank covenants, and cash management. The selected candidate will also assist the Director of Finance reporting schedules, activities to keep ASCO compliant with regulations and contract obligations, and participate in special projects and initiatives.
What you will do:
- Analyze financial information, prepare entries and financial schedules as part of the preparation of the ASCO monthly and audited financial statements, as assigned
- Assure that financial information is compliant with GAAP, government regulations (tax, grant, etc.), and best practices for not for profit organization
- Maintain knowledge of accounting principles, not for profit tax regulations, sales and property tax regulations, and other requirements
- Prepare for review, Form 990, Form 990-T, sales tax, property tax, and other tax filings
- Support tax planning efforts with analysis of the impact in changes in law or new activities while establishing tracking systems for gathering data needed for tax returns
- Conduct research and develop proposed method of revenue recognition for various transactions; maintain documentation of revenue recognition compliant with GAAP; and assure that transaction systems generate information needed to properly record revenue
- Review, track, and submit debt payments (bond interest, principal, and interest rate swap payments), prepare reports required under bank covenants.
- Track and report for ASCO federal, industry, and foundation grants including development and maintenance of direct and indirect cost rates and cost allocation models
- Forecast cash flow; and monitor assumptions on collection timing and expenditures
- As a member of the Finance and Accounting team, participate with special projects and partner and delegate to team members as need be
What you will need in order to be successful:
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting, with an MS degree in Taxation or a CPA highly preferred
- At least 5 years’ plus of related work experience in Finance including work in not-for-profit organizations and specifically taxation
- Experience with preparing financial statements and tax returns for a not-for-profit entity including 990s and 990-Ts
- Familiarity with GAAP and tax reporting for not for profit organizations
- Knowledge of revenue recognition guidance per FASB
- Strong financial systems experience with MS Dynamics or Workday and being a plus; familiarity with running and preparing reports with a high proficiency in Excel
- Comfort level with adapting to new technology
- Good oral, interpersonal, and written (including power point) communication skills
- Excellent analytical thinking and problem solving skills, strong planner, and good business judgment
- Comfort in a fast-paced and collaborative work environment including working with outside consultants/firms