The Senior Accountant, CPA reports to the CFO and is responsible for the integrity of accounting information by recording, reconciling, scheduling, and entering transactions. This position addresses tight deadlines and a multitude of accounting activities including the expenditure, payroll, revenue, and fixed asset cycles. The senior accountant will prepare year-end audit and tax schedules and liaise with the audit staff. The Senior Accountant will support all Staff and the CFO which requires strong interpersonal communication skills, both written and verbal.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Responsible for maintaining the general ledger through preparing monthly supporting schedules and subsidiary ledgers in a timely and accurate manner.
- Responsible for preparing monthly financial statements in a timely and accurate manner.
- Responsible for preparing internal financial reports, resolving discrepancies, and providing account analyses.
- Responsible for preparing and submitting payroll for review in a timely and accurate manner.
- Responsible for supporting the annual audit of the financial statements by preparing schedules and liaising between National PTA and the audit firm’s staff.
- Responsible for supporting National PTA’s compliance with all Federal, state, and local filing requirements.
- Maintains financial security through established internal controls, enforcing accounting policy and procedures, and recommending improvements.
- Responds to inquiries from Staff regarding financial results and special reporting requests.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Other duties as assigned
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent, in Accounting from an accredited university
- CPA is required
- 2+ years of experience as an accountant in a public accounting firm or non-profit organization
- Strong knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (“GAAP”) and, specifically, non-profit GAAP.
- Experience with Dynamics GP or another large automated accounting system a plus.
- Strong skills with Microsoft Office products.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and meet required deadlines.
- Strong customer-centric approach required.
- The marginal functions of this position have not been included. This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties to be performed. An employee will be required to follow any other job-related duties required by the manager.
- Work is performed in a professional office environment; core office hours are 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM
- Position may be required to work occasional evenings and weekends for special programs and/or events
- Incumbents routinely uses standard office equipment including computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, etc.
- This is a largely sedentary role. Routine activities and special events may require the ability to lift files, packages and related materials weighing up to 20 lbs. and to bend or stand as necessary.
- Position requires ≤ 10% travel domestically
- Accounting Quality
- Job Knowledge
- Analytical Skills
- Customer Relations
- Teamwork & Collaboration
To apply for this position, submit cover letter, resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org please label the Subject: Senior Accountant, CPA. Applicants must submit all requirements to be considered for the vacancy.
EEO/AA/Disabled/Protected Veteran Employer. NPTA offers equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals, without regard to unlawful consideration of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law. To be considered, you must apply for a specific position for which NPTA has a current posted job opening. Qualifying applicants will be considered only for the specific opening(s) to which you apply. If you would like to be considered for additional or future job openings, we encourage you to reapply for other opportunities as they become available. Further, NPTA provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with a disability.
Note: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.