Summary of Responsibilities
Councilor, Buchanan & Mitchell, P.C. (CBM), an accounting and business advisory firm that serves clients throughout Washington, DC, Baltimore and the Mid-Atlantic region, is currently seeking a dedicated tax professional with 6+ years of public accounting and tax experience to work primarily on compilation/review and tax engagements for our clients.
- Manages tax related processes, procedures and team.
- Prepares personal and corporate tax returns, including more complex cases.
- Reviews and approves all returns with the exception of those dealing with specialized issues requiring the expertise of another manager or director.
- Reviews tax accruals and associated working papers.
- Assumes the responsibility for the smooth flow of tax returns. Acts as director-in-charge for a variety of clients. Acts as key client for a variety of engagements. Bills clients and discusses fees with clients.
- Prepares BNA projections and becomes involved in planning for more complex clients.
- Becomes involved in tax planning for less complex client situations.
- Analyzes IRS notices and drafts responses.
- Reviews IRS notice responses prepared by other tax personnel.
- Represents clients before the IRS.
- Communicates tax developments to firm.
- Performs more complex tax research and reviews research projects of others.
- Assists accounting and auditing staff members in client meetings.
- Delegates work to and manages work of tax staff, senior tax accountants and tax supervisors and supervises work.
- Participates in tax department administrative projects.
- Works with directors to establish standards for the tax staff and evaluates and counsels tax staff members.
- Acts as a resource for tax staff and senior tax accountants, tax supervisors and tax managers.
- Contributes to the client service team by producing quality work with quick turnaround and attentive service.
- Develops a general understanding of firm philosophy and tax opinions.
- Establishes good working relationships with all directors and staff members.
- Demonstrates initiative, creativity, and imagination.
- Possesses time management and organization skills.
- Demonstrates industry expertise.
- Assists with recruitment and training of other tax department personnel.
- Develops entrepreneurial approach to client service and good working relationships with client personnel.
- Maintains contacts with peers, develops network of business contacts, meets with prospective clients, and cultivates referrals.
- Writes articles and makes presentations.
- Develops a broad general knowledge of economic, political, and business conditions.
- Accepts volunteer positions in community organizations.
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or other related programs.
- Advanced degree (generally law or master's in taxation) is strongly desired.
- CPA Certification.
- At least six years of recent relevant public accounting, tax and review experience.
- At least three years of management experience and ability to lead and develop professional staff.
- Proficiency in use of computers and tax software programs (Document, Practice Management, Engagement, ProSystem fx Tax, QuickBooks, etc.)
- Ability to manage multiple client engagements and prioritize work.
At CBM, it is our goal to hire talented, energetic people who are enthusiastic about what they do. We offer a mentorship program to encourage individuals to grow professionally and develop in their careers. CBM offers today's accounting professionals opportunity for advancement in a fast-paced environment that allows both for professional success and work-life balance.
CBM offers a diverse, flexible work environment and we are proud to offer a competitive salary, a comprehensive benefits package, growth opportunity and a team-oriented office environment.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter via our career site at www.cbmcpa.com
** CBM is an Equal Opportunity Employer dedicated to diversity and inclusiveness **
RECRUITERS - PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT THIS EMPLOYER!!