Immanuel Church-on-the-Hill was established in 1941 by the Virginia Theological Seminary (VTS). We have nearly 1,000 members and are located in Alexandria, VA adjacent to Virginia Theological Seminary. Please visit our website to learn more about us and whom we serve at www.immanuel-on-the-hill.org
OUR MISSION: To grow as a Church in the spiritual strength of community, and to care, reach out, and include all people in Christ’s love.
POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES: This position will work closely with the Treasurer to manage the accounting and financial operations for the church. Successful candidate must have a desire to work in a Christian church environment. Job duties are summarized below:
· Accounts payable: processes vendor payments and reimbursements and prepares year-end 1099s
· Cash receipts: enters deposits into GL, inputs donations, prepares donor statements
· Credit card expenses: records in the GL and maintains supporting documentation
· Payroll: maintains employee files, submits payroll for processing, ensures employee information is accurate and that tax filings are submitted by processor for 941, W-2, W-3
· Assists the part-time controller with the monthly close
· Monthly Reports: prepares budget analysis, cash flow, and other reports as needed
· Annual Budgets: assists Treasurer with developing the annual budget by analyzing historical trends involving member giving and church spending
· Performs analysis of financial data as needed to assist the Vestry and Treasurer with planning
· Audit: assists Treasurer & part-time controller with preparing schedules, pulling audit samples, and answering questions for the annual audit
· Communicates areas of financial concern to Rector and Treasurer in a timely manner
· Responds to parish members’ inquiries regarding their donations
· Attends Vestry meetings and participates in committee meetings as needed.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS: TIME REQUIRED: 12-18 hours per week; employee is expected to maintain a consistent schedule to facilitate availability to parish staff and members
SKILLS & EDUCATION REQUIRED:
· Bachelor’s degree in Accounting with five years of relevant accounting work experience; NPO experience is a preference
· Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and practices
· Excellent computer skills and proficient with Excel, Word, Quickbooks and experience with ChurchWindows is a plus
· Ability to communicate information to non-accountants
· Attention to detail, strong verbal/written communication skills, and ability to work with confidential information and limited supervision is required
POSITION WORKS WITH: Volunteers (Offering Counters, Bank Reconciliation) Ministry Assistant (deposits, petty cash)
POSITION REPORTS TO: Rector and Treasurer
COMPENSATION: Negotiable, based on experience. This part-time position does note include benefits.
TO APPLY: Applicants may submit a resume and cover letter to Laura Snow, Treasurer, Immanuel Church-on-the-Hill, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants should explain their background, credentials, experience, and describe what they would contribute to our faith community. Must be able to pass a background check.