THE CONSERVATION FUND
The Conservation Fund (“TCF” or the “Fund”) is a nonprofit conservation organization dedicated to the dual mission of protecting America’s most important land, water, and natural resources while also supporting economic growth in communities. Top-ranked for efficiency and effectiveness, in its 33-year history The Conservation Fund has protected over eight million acres of critical conservation property worth $4.7 billion across all 50 States.
The Conservation Fund seeks an experienced professional to lead its accounting operations at a critical juncture in its history. In an organization poised for growth, the Controller has a unique opportunity to evaluate and implement accounting process and financial reporting improvements that will support an ambitious mission for years to come. In addition to a deep knowledge of GAAP, the successful candidate will be a tech-savvy individual with strong leadership ability and a continuous improvement mindset.
Link to job posting: Controller
Apply online with cover letter and resume.
The Controller manages all aspects of accounting and financial reporting for The Conservation Fund, ensuring that the organization’s financial records are accurate, timely, and compliant with internal and external requirements. The Controller maintains a comprehensive set of controls to mitigate risk, ensures the accuracy of financial records, and ensures compliance with generally accepted accounting principles.
The Controller oversees G/L, A/R, A/P, Payroll, and Grants Administration; maintains financial systems and associated processes and procedures; and serves as an expert resource to all parts of the organization on accounting matters. The Controller works with program staff and leadership to ensure financial processes, systems, and reporting support the achievement of organizational goals.
The Controller reports to the VP of Finance and supervises a team of accounting staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Manage daily accounting processes and month- and year-end close, ensuring a professionally staffed and well-run Accounting function.
· Ensure compliance with GAAP and sound internal controls.
· Develop and prepare financial statements for both internal and external use on an established schedule. Serve as an expert resource to the organization on accounting and financial reporting matters.
· Manage and oversee all financial systems to ensure timely, accurate and high-quality data.
· Work closely with external auditors to complete annual financial statement audit and 403(b) plan audit within established deadlines and fees. Oversee production, review, and submission of IRS Forms 990.
· Oversee the time-keeping system and processes and semi-monthly processing of payroll.
· Work closely with the VP of Finance and CFO on key initiatives in support of the broader financial operations of the organization.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting/Finance and at least seven years related experience; CPA required.
· Extensive experience with GAAP and not-for-profit accounting principles, practices and regulations.
· Experience recruiting, developing, motivating and managing the performance of staff.
· Advanced proficiency with Excel and general ledger accounting systems.
· Ability to analyze and apply independent judgment to the proper application of relevant regulatory framework to complex or unique transactions.
· Innovative thinker, with a track record of problem solving, developing action plans, and delivering results.
· Knowledge of 2 CFR 200; experience administering government awards preferred.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to interact with individuals at all levels of the organization.
· Strong organizational, project management, and leadership skills.
· Commitment to The Conservation Fund’s mission and values.
The Conservation Fund, a Non Profit Corporation, is an Equal Opportunity Employer who fully and actively supports equal access for all people regardless of Race, Color, Religion, Gender, Age, National Origin, Veteran Status, Disability, Genetic Information or Testing, Family and Medical Leave, Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity or Expression and prohibits retaliation against individuals who bring forth any complaint, orally or in writing, to the employer or the government, or against any individuals who assist or practice in the investigation of any complaint, or otherwise oppose discrimination.