Foundations / Philanthropy
Finance / Accounting
NY - New York metropolitan area
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
The Markle Foundation works to realize the potential of technology to achieve breakthroughs in addressing some of the nation's most pressing issues. Markle challenges itself and diverse partners to deploy their varied expertise to identify solutions and achieve systemic change. Today as advanced technology and automation change the very nature of work, Markle's priority is advancing solutions towards a skills-based labor market that will enable Americans to transition to the opportunities of the digital economy. Markle's workforce initiatives includeSkillful and the Rework America Task Force. They follow Markle's success in creating the policy and technology architecture that has enabled improvements in healthcare, national security, and access to the Internet.
While Markle is organized as a private foundation it operates principally through direct charitable activities and is both a grant maker and a grant recipient.
Skillful, a non-profit initiative of the Markle Foundation with Microsoft, LinkedIn, the State of Colorado, and other partners, is working to achieve a skills-based labor market to help millions of Americans overcome barriers to obtaining better-paying jobs in today's digital economy. Skillful helps employers achieve the workforce they need by providing data, tools, and resources that enable the adoption of skills-based hiring and training practices. Coaches and digital services enable job seekers to learn what skills are in demand and access training at any stage of their career. At the same time, Skillful aligns employers and educators so that their training programs teach the skills required to succeed in today's economy.
Rework America Task Force
The Rework America Task Force seeks to transform America's outdated labor market so that all Americans – especially the nearly 70% without a college degree – have opportunities to thrive in the digital economy. This coalition of diverse leaders from technology, business, labor, education and the public sector is committed to developing bold, practical, non-partisan solutions to building a skills-based labor market that works for all Americans and supports the competitiveness of the American economy. The Task Force will define and advance policies and practices among employers, educators, policymakers, technologists and workers themselves so that all are better equipped to anticipate, adapt to and harness for good the rapid pace of technological change transforming our economy. By establishing clear, accessible paths to quality jobs and lifelong training in the digital economy, the Task Force is working to enable the dignity of work for all Americans.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Director of Accounting and Finance will manage the accounting, budgeting, reporting, and tax work for the Foundation, reporting to and working closely with the Chief Financial Officer in this newly reconfigured position. S/he will have overall responsibility for directing the accounting activities of the organization including banking, cash management, accounts payable and receivable, accounting entity interrelationships, grants accounting, tax returns and annual audit. In addition, the Director will play a significant role in budgeting, financial system development, and internal and external reporting. This role also includes staff management responsibility.
This multifaceted role is an ideal opportunity for a savvy finance professional to join an entrepreneurial and innovative organization that is committed to creating a skills-based labor market that works for all Americans.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Direct all accounting activities for the organization, including: cash management; manage positive pay process; maintain general ledger, prepare journal entries, oversee accounts payable and receivable, supervise invoicing, and produce periodic financial reports. Ensure that all bank reconciliations are conducted in a timely manner, that the books are closed monthly and that all accounts are routinely in good order
- Supervise accounting of payroll and benefits
- Record investment transactions into accounting records; capital calls and distributions
- Supervise signature authorities on investment transactions (is not a signatory)
- Prepare all foundation tax returns on time, including 990-PF, 990-T, 5500, State UBIT returns and payroll tax returns
- Monitor grant cash flows; prepare grant spending reports, prepare invoices between Skillful LLC and Markle to call down grant funds to reimburse Markle cash
- Develop and implement procedures for managing vendor relationships including program contractors and grantees, ensuring appropriate contracts are completed. Supervise purchasing process and monitor contract compliance -Oversee processes for approving travel expenses using Concur software
People and Financial Management
- Manage a team of accounting staff
- Draft the operating budget as a component of the Foundation's full annual budget. Provide reports as needed to programs on budgets and expenditures
- Prepare draft quarterly Financial Statements for the Board of Directors including reconciliation of actual to budgets for the period
- In partnership with the CFO, prepare for the Annual Audit of the Foundation. Provide information to external auditors and prepare exhibits, schedules, and documentation as needed
- In collaboration with the CFO, implement changes in accounting procedures and reporting as the needs of the organization change
- Develop recommendations to improve the chart of accounts design and accounting system functionality
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- 8-10+ years of progressively responsible experience in accounting including robust experience with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Prior experience working in a private foundation or public charity required
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or other relevant discipline
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) credential preferred
- People management experience, with the ability to lead, inspire, and motivate individuals and teams to achieve ambitious outcomes, coaching staff while also holding team members accountable for meeting goals
- Robust knowledge of and experience with major accounting software packages - MIP Fund Accounting preferred - and Microsoft Office Suite products
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to build strong relationships and influence others
- Detail orientation and superb organizational skills coupled to strong analytical and critical problem solving skills
- Ability to work independently with minimal upfront guidance and as part of a collaborative team, taking on new tasks with a high level of complexity
- Capacity to effectively handle multiple projects simultaneously in a deadline-driven environment
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
"To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter through On-Ramps: https://www.on-ramps.com/jobs/1454"
Markle is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, physical or mental ability, veteran status, military obligations and marital status.