TO APPLY, PLEASE VISIT: WWW.HRC.ORG/CAREERS
We strongly encourage people of color, transgender and non-binary people to apply. HRC is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone, including non-LGBTQ people, to join our team.
Under the direction of the Accounting Supervisor, the Staff Accountant is responsible for the expense accounting of the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) and the Human Rights Campaign Foundation (HRCF). In addition to managing accounts payable and employee travel & expense, the Staff Accountant is responsible for ensuring all transactions are processed in accordance with GAAP and organizational policies.
- Review weekly check requests, purchase orders, and expense reimbursements for proper documentation, accurate coding, proper sales & use tax application, and necessary approvals. Process payments according to guidelines.
- Process manual check entries, wire transfers, voided checks and credit memos on a timely basis. Prepare accounts payable-related journal entries. Perform weekly review of Aged Accounts Payable report. Resolve issues and record needed accruals.
- Prepare year-end IRS Form 1099-MISC mailings and electronic filings.
- Record recurring monthly journal entries and other accounts payment adjustments, as needed. Ensure all monthly centrally-billed invoices and building-related expenses are processed timely.
- Reconcile Accounts Payable subsidiary system to the General Ledger, Prepaid Expenses and other General Ledger accounts, as assigned.
- Assist in annual audit; prepare audit work papers and schedules.
- Provide excellent customer service including prompt response to phone or email inquiries for both internal staff inquiries and external vendor requests.
- Manage paper and electronic record retention system for accurate, timely and easily accessible files, ensuring compliance with HRC procedures.
- Assist in ongoing documentation of Accounts Payable policies and procedures and training materials, as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Travel & Expense
- Review corporate card travel and expense transactions for all supporting documentation and data entry, coordinate payment process and follow up on missing receipts, reports and approvals.
- Respond in a timely and professional manner to high-volume questions/issues regarding Travel & Expense Policy, Credit Card program and Electronic Expense Reporting System.
- Provide training and assist new and existing staff on features and functions of the Travel and Expense system, promoting a positive experience.
- Ensure compliance with HRC’s travel and expense policy and approval process.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field (or equivalent work experience) and working knowledge of GAAP are strongly preferred. Two to four years of relevant work experience in a nonprofit is preferred.
- Experience with Accounting ERP Systems such as Microsoft Dynamics NAV and Expense Management Software, such as Concur, is preferred.
- Strong skills with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook), Google Apps (Gmail, Google Docs and Drive).
Must demonstrate the following competencies:
- Customer service— manages difficult client/customer situations, responds promptly to customer needs, solicits customer feedback to improve service, responds to requests for service and assistance and meets commitments and follows up on obtaining reports and documentation from staff. Communicates effectively and professionally with vendors and members of own and other departments within the organization.
- Teamwork—must be able to work independently and be team-oriented and willing to assist fellow Finance staff during peak times.
- Problem solving—shows initiative and identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner, gathers and analyzes information skillfully and follows through on issues to resolution.
- Confidentiality—able to maintain confidentiality and discretion.
- Planning/organizing—prioritizes and plans work activities and uses time efficiently.
- Quality control—detail-oriented and demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness, monitors own work to ensure quality, applies feedback to improve performance and is well-organized.
- Quantity—meets productivity standards and completes work in a timely manner to meet weekly and monthly deadlines. Must have an understanding of proper accounting controls.
- Dependability—consistently at work and on time, follows instructions, responds to management direction and solicits feedback to improve performance. Overtime at peak times is required.
- Adaptability—highly motivated and adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands and is able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events.
- Flexibility with work schedule--this position requires evening and weekend work during peak periods
- Personal interest in and commitment to LGBTQ rights.
All positions at the Human Rights Campaign may require travel on a regular basis or periodically. Where the need arises for business travel, appropriate compensation as outlined by the Fair Labor Standards Act will apply.
No phone calls, please. Due to the volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to queries about application status.