Position: Associate, Accountant
Reports to: Senior Accountant
Location: Alexandria, VA
Status: Full Time/Exempt
The Accountant works directly with the Senior Accountant. The dynamic position requires a technology-savvy individual with strong knowledge of accounting systems, including: cash management, accounts receivable, accounts payable, and general ledger. The position plays a key role in monthly close, general ledger reconciliation and year- end audits.
· Manage the electronic account payable and expense reporting system (PN3), maintain user accounts, train new users and make necessary administrative updates to the system and training manuals.
· Process accounts payable payments (employee expense reports, vendor invoices and charity distributions) on a weekly basis.
· Process payments accurately and timely on a weekly basis, whether by check, EFT or wires.
· Process distributions timely and accurately to donor-designated charities.
· Monitor and initiate communication on all accounts payable issues to decrease outstanding items.
· Review invoices and check requests; and resolve any issues/discrepancies in collaboration with managers and employees.
· Produce and send 1099s to vendors (1096 to IRS) annually.
· Produce monthly, quarterly and annual invoices, track payment and issue statements of account to clients.
· Responsible for contract management – including review scope and terms, upload in PN3, obtain all necessary addendums, etc.
· Monitor and initiate communication on all accounts receivable issues to decrease outstanding items.
· Prepare monthly/quarterly account schedules, reconciliations, analysis and/or reports.
· Assist in preparing audit schedules and 990 tax preparation.
· Willingness to accept additional assignments and be flexible in a dynamic work environment.
Qualifications & Requirements:
· Bachelor’s degree in accounting/finance/business from an accredited college or university.
· 3-5 years in an accounting/finance environment, with not-for-profit experience and knowledge of not-for-profit accounting strongly preferred.
· Knowledge and use of the following software packages is recommended:
o Microsoft Dynamics GP (Great Plains): G/L, Cash Management (Bank Reconciliation) and Sales (A/R)
o Microsoft Office Suite (especially Excel)
· Working knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP)
· Strong knowledge of current accounting rules and regulations
· Good communication skills
· Detail oriented, efficient, and flexible
· Ability to work independently
· Excellent time management skills and the ability to organize and prioritize work
· Ability to identify problems and make recommendations for improvement
· Team player, able to handle ambiguity, anticipate and react to changes quickly
Interested candidates should send resume and cover letter with salary expectations