1. Financial Planning
· Assist in the development and deployment of the annual financial planning process.
· Help create and recommend planning/forecasting methodologies, guidelines for allocations, budget constraints, and financial performance targets.
· Develop templates, policies, and timelines for the budgeting process as assigned.
2. Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, and Payroll Oversight
· Manage the AP, AR, and payroll processing functions in collaboration with the Controller.
· Establish appropriate controls, protocols, and procedures to verify that processes comply with NLC policies and applicable laws / regulations. Oversee the preparation and distribution of W-2, 1099, and other required forms.
· Review and approve AP and payroll runs. Audit and verify corresponding AR, AP, and payroll journal entries.
· Administer member billing. Investigate and resolve overdue accounts, approve write-offs and refunds, and prepare monthly billing reports and analyses for the Controller.
· Collaborate with Talent Management on the implementation of processes to administer payroll changes for employees.
3. Banking Administration
· Set up wire payments.
· Review monthly reconciliation of bank accounts transactions by staff accountants.
· Recording monthly investment activity.
4. Reporting & Analysis
· Develop and prepare standardized reports, dashboards, and financial metric scorecards. Set up and maintain dashboard and reports in the accounting system.
· Support the Controller in the development of monthly reports comparing plans/budgets, actual financial results, and results for past comparable periods. Provide explanations for any identified variances.
· Analyze key account trends and performance drivers in collaboration with department Directors.
· Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual summary reports of grant activity.
· Prepare special analysis projects as requested to assist in the evaluation of proposed strategic initiatives and special projects.
5. Accounting and G/L Oversight
· Manage the overall month-end closing process in collaboration with the Controller. Review and approve final month-end journal entries by staff accountants.
· Find ways to hold departments accountable for the timely submission of financial-related requests and reports in collaboration with the Controller.
· Reconcile balance sheet and revenue/expense accounts.
· Prepare monthly and year-end cost allocations.
· Investigate and resolve accounting discrepancies as needed.
· Support the Controller in the preparation of month-end financial statements. Ensure account activity and reported results are reasonable and within expectations.
6. Tax & Compliance
· Support the controller in the administration of tax and compliance functions.
· Respond to information requests for financial information needed by legal, auditors, etc.
· Recommend, implement, and maintain effective business controls in collaboration with the Controller.
· Establish and maintain a record retention policy in collaboration with the Controller based on oversight requirements and applicable regulations. Educate the Finance team on controls and ensure financial materials are retained according to policy.
· Maintain the confidentiality of financial records. Ensure all materials are properly secured according to department procedures.
· Build a high-performing, highly-engaged Accounting team.
· Guide and direct the efforts of assigned staff members to plan and complete work. Define individual work goals, expectations, priorities, and measures for success.
· Serve as a mentor and coach for staff, providing knowledge and technical expertise. Plan and deliver professional development to staff based on their current work assignments and long-term career goals.
· Perform functions typically associated with managing and leading others, including performance management, recruitment and selection, and compensation and policy administration.
· Serve as a backup for finance team members as needed.
8. Perform other duties and complete special projects as assigned.