The Land Trust Alliance is the voice of the land trust community. As the national leader in policy, standards and education, we work passionately to support land trusts across America so they can save more land and better serve their communities.
Our natural places and working lands are a lifeline to clean air, water, food and good health. These lands also bring us together, inspire us and provide opportunities to recreate and recharge. The land trust community is a crucial component in this equation. With important places under continual threat, land trusts need access to the best tools, information and policy advocates. Armed with a diverse network and valuable resources, the Alliance is the land trust community’s source for the knowledge and capabilities they need to reach their goals. From tax and funding policies on Capitol Hill to innovative ideas, partnerships and initiatives, we ensure our land trust members can always be heard and achieve more.
Under the direction of the Controller, the Staff Accountant is responsible for supporting a range of accounting processes to include accounts payable, payroll, cash receipts and disbursements, and general ledger and account reconciliation. Additionally, the Staff Accountant will perform financial operating duties in support of a timely and accurate month-end close, with a focus on adhering to best practices and effective internal controls in the financial accounting for The Alliance and its two affiliate organizations.
- Process timely and accurate vendor invoice payments for The Alliance and affiliates using automated accounts payable system
- Maintain vendor files including paid invoices, automated vendor database and Form W-9’s
- File timely and accurate annual Forms 1099 and 1096 with the IRS.
- Ensure compliance with state sales tax regulations and file timely sales tax returns for various states
- Process semi-monthly payroll timely and accurately for the Alliance and Commission
- Coordinate with Human Resources to ensure personnel actions (new hires, terminations, and benefit information) are all timely reflected in the payroll system
- Ensure tax, employee deductions, leave and overtime payments and other compensation are calculated and processed correctly
- Investigate and resolve payroll issues and process special/off-cycle payrolls when necessary
- Generate and post semi-monthly payroll journal entries
- Reconcile payroll liability accounts monthly and generate required journal entry adjustments
- Maintain program and grant codes in the payroll automated system
Cash Receipts and Disbursements:
- Prepare and reconcile daily batch report of cash and checks received via mail, and incoming wires per daily bank activity report; provide report of all receipts to Development staff
- Reconcile daily batch reports of credit card receipts made via The Alliance’s website, to the PayPal account activity daily report
- Post all deposit activity daily to accounts receivable system and financial accounting system, and reconcile the two systems daily
- Post all electronic withdrawal activity (ACH, wires) daily, as reflected on bank activity reports
- Reconcile bank accounts using financial accounting system monthly.
- Review budget and grant codes on charges submitted by staff credit cardholders monthly; generate journal entry to record credit card activity to expense and/or asset accounts
- Maintain program and grant codes in the credit card banking automated system
General Ledger and Account Reconciliations:
- Reconcile intercompany accounts between the Alliance and affiliates. Generate required journal entry adjustments
- Prepare monthly invoices for intercompany activity; post invoices to accounts receivable system
- Prepare monthly recurring journal entries including: fixed asset acquisition and depreciation expensing prepaid transactions, and recording expense accruals.
- Assist with the preparation of schedules, research, and transaction explanations for the annual audit of the Alliance.
- Train new Alliance employees on financial operations policies and procedures, including corporate credit cards, cash disbursement and cash receipt processes
- Provide recommendations for implementing process improvements, creating workflow efficiencies, and cost savings techniques.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor degree in Accounting or Finance
- 1-3 years of financial or accounting experience in nonprofit organizations
- 1-3 years of experience with Microsoft Dynamics Great Plains
- Knowledge of GAAP and not-for-profit accounting principles, practices and regulations
- Experience preparing and processing payroll preferred
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to establish effective relationships
- Ability to deal with sensitive and confidential payroll issues
- Ability to employ critical thinking, good judgment, and maintain confidentiality of information
- Personal and professional integrity and high level of accountability
- Strong Excel skills including V Lookups and Pivot tables
Competitive salary and benefits provided.
Send resume and cover letter, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If email is not an option, applications will be accepted by mail to Human Resources Director, Land Trust Alliance, 1250 H Street, NW, Suite 600, Washington, DC 20005.
The Land Trust Alliance’s mission is to save the places people need and love by strengthening land conservation across America. The Land Trust Alliance is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability or marital status.