Climate Advisers is seeking an experienced Chief Financial & Administrative Officer (CFAO) to provide strategic financial expertise and leadership to the organization. The CFAO serves as a key member of the executive team, supporting Climate Advisers’ mission to strengthen climate action in the United States and around the world. The position is ideal for someone who has experience working with nonprofits/NGOs on international government grants and is eager to work on addressing one of the greatest challenges of our time. The work environment is fast-paced, flexible and nimble, yet offers the benefits of a professional and mature organization.
Founded in 2008, Climate Advisers is a group of policy, research and advocacy organizations working to deliver the post-carbon economy. It is comprised of Climate Advisers Inc. (CAI), a consultancy; Climate Advisers Trust (CAT), a US nonprofit; and Climate Advisers UK (CA UK), a UK nonprofit. In the United States and around the world, Climate Advisers creates and implements large-scale, cost-effective strategies to strengthen climate action and improve lives. The organization works in partnership with leading philanthropies, think tanks, advocacy groups, international institutions, companies and governments. By understanding complex policy and political challenges, Climate Advisers brings together globally recognized thought leaders around:
· Forests, Lands, Oceans: Its largest portfolio, Climate Advisers works to reduce emissions from deforestation and strengthen the role of natural climate solutions.
Energy: Climate Advisers promotes clean energy policy to deliver the low carbon economy. Financial Markets: Climate Advisers identifies climate and sustainability risks.
Diplomacy: Climate Advisers creates and implements strategies to strengthen international climate cooperation.
US Policy & Politics: Climate Advisers develops sound policy solutions in Washington, DC and across the US.
Climate Advisers offers an award-winning culture and a beautiful office environment in Washington, DC, that emphasizes transparency, risk taking and collaboration. Climate Advisors is currently in a period of growth and has nearly two dozen employees and an annual revenue in excess of $5 million. The organization is governed by a five-member Board of Directors. For more information, please visit https://www.climateadvisers.com/.
Working with the CEO, VP & Head of Programs and other staff, the CFAO will focus on the following priorities:
· Ensuring funding flows appropriately across legal entities (CAI, CAT, CA UK).
· Assuring Climate Advisers manages its grant reporting and compliance with foreign funders and investors.
· Strengthening financial systems and other internal systems and processes.
· Continuously improving the organization’s fiscal function and performance.
· Supporting the program teams with budgeting and program management; improving the budgeting process across the organization.
· Working collaboratively with the Climate Advisers’ operations team to share knowledge across the organization.
In addition to these key priorities, the CFAO is responsible for the following:
Financial and Strategic Planning:
· Prepare annual budgets and financial targets for strategic plan, and support CEO in strategic planning processes and business analysis.
· Perform ongoing financial analysis; develop financial reports, and present financial information to the team, Board, funders, and partners in an accurate and timely manner.
· Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting on a monthly basis.
· Ensure that a robust contracts management and financial management/reporting system are in place.
Accounting, Budgeting and Financial Controls:
· Manage all day-to-day financial activities, including coordinating and overseeing bookkeeping, accounts receivable and accounts payable, journal entries (e.g., for accruals, payroll), fixed asset control, monthly account and bank reconciliations, QuickBooks, and preparing monthly and year-end closing.
· Maintain and implement necessary business and accounting policies, procedures and practices to support Climate Advisers’ various entities.
· Coordinate audits and tax return filings with outside auditors, tax accountants, and payroll company tax filing service.
· Support Grants Administrator on proposals, budgets and donor regulation compliance for subgrantees and subcontractors.
HR, Operations and Information Technology:
· Oversee the Director of Human Resources, ensuring that HR best practices are in place, and that all entities (CAI, CAT, and CA-UK) follow HR policies and procedures, and federal, state, local and international regulations.
· With HR Director, oversee compensation and benefits, run semi-monthly payrolls, and ensure performance reviews and development plans are done regularly.
· Act as member of the Investment Committee and oversee the 401(k) administration and investment decisions; liaise with CAT Board committees.
· Oversee contract review and approval for new clients and/or projects as well as partners, subgrantees and contractors.
· Oversee contracts with IT consultant, including procurement, installation and maintenance of all IT hardware and software; coordinate software packages.
· Maintain facilities, office equipment, supplies, liaising on building management as needed.
Climate Advisers uses a variety of tools to support its operations: Gmail, Dropbox, Slack, Tsheets, Zoom, Adobe, Microsoft Office, QuickBooks, Bill.com, Asana and Nexonia.
Experience and Attributes
Highly qualified candidates will share Climate Advisers’ vision to shape the low-carbon economy and contribute to a positive workplace. The ideal candidate will bring the following:
· 15+ years of accounting or finance experience.
· Minimum 7 years of corporate and/or nonprofit accounting experience with exposure to finance and accounting management at the Director or CFAO level.
· Experience in nonprofit and grants accounting and reporting to bilateral or multilateral donors; preference for experience with NGO/international development funding streams.
· Solid understanding of accounting processes and procedures based on GAAP.
· Significant experience working with external auditors, internal controls and compliance-related responsibilities.
· Demonstrated leadership abilities and executive presence; with the ability to coach, motivate and lead staff.
· Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, as well as presentation skills.
· Strong organizational skills and the ability to prioritize and perform detail-oriented work with a high level of accuracy.
· Excellent analytical, reasoning and problem-solving skills.
· Demonstrated ability to handle confidential and sensitive information.
· Advanced Excel and QuickBooks skills, and familiarity with other online accounting services such as Bill.com, time and expense reporting systems, etc.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or related field.
· CPA or MBA preferred.
Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
To apply, upload resume, cover letter, and salary requirements by clicking here.* Please direct all inquiries to Raffa-Marcum’s Nonprofit & Social Sector Group, who is conducting the search. Contact: Ginna Goodenow-Schirf, Ginna.Goodenow-Schirf@marcumllp.com.Resume reviews begin immediately.
Climate Advisers Trust is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and strives to select the best-qualified person for each position in the organization. We enthusiastically accept our responsibility to make employment decisions without regard to race, religion, color, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, disability, military service or veteran status, genetic information, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.
About Raffa – Marcum’s Nonprofit & Social Sector Group
Raffa – Marcum’s Nonprofit & Social Sector Group is working with Climate Advisers to advance the search. Founded in 1984 as Raffa PC and merged with Marcum LLP in 2018, we are a mission-driven professional services firm seeking to do more for nonprofits and socially conscious companies like Climate Advisers. Learn more about our work at http://marcumllp.com/industries/nonprofit-social-sector.