Controller Position Description - https://www.paycomonline.net/v4/ats/web.php/jobs/ViewJobDetails?job=19566&clientkey=47499A366122C4CB5AFA8EC75AC98A8B&jpt=4f970cbe66e15d3089d577ecd5ab76ff
Expectation For All Employees: Committed to the organization’s mission, vision, and values by exhibiting the following behaviors: commitment to diversity and equity, excellence and competence, collaboration, innovation, accountability, ownership, and adherence to policies and procedures.
About AASCU and the Division of Administration and Finance: AASCU is the collective voice of nearly 400 public colleges, universities, and systems that hold students and community at the heart of their mission. The association works to expand student access, success and opportunity, promote world-class teaching and experiential learning tied to career advancement, and support applied research and service that advances economic development and quality of life in communities across the country. The goal of the Division of Administration and Finance (A&F) is to provide an innovative, collaborative, cost effective support infrastructure needed to deliver on AASCU’s mission. A&F is comprised of Human Resources, Information Technologies, Facilities, and Finance. All staff members are encouraged to think creatively about how they can address mission, member needs, and challenges that will inevitably arise from time to time. Staff are also encouraged to engage in bold thinking, to put forward new ideas and proposals, and to openly debate the risks – upside and downside – associated with new ideas.
Summary of Position: The Controller is an essential leader at AASCU, responsible for all financial functions of the organization. The position is responsible for working with internal and external stakeholders and providing strategic financial analysis and leadership. The Controller’s responsibilities straddle strategic planning for the enterprise, hands on responsibility for accounting and financial operations, and reporting that includes general ledger, accounts receivable, accounts payable, fixed assets, and taxes.
The successful candidate has an accomplished track record in all aspects of financial services. This management position brings strategic, visionary, collaborative thinking to the finance function, and develops and implements innovative, financially sound strategic initiatives in direct support of the AASCU’s mission, goals, and objectives to ensure cross-organizational collaboration towards shared success and joint action. This talented professional is flexible, has a strong work ethic, is committed to using technology to create efficiencies while strengthening financial systems, and can perform complex and comprehensive accounting work, which includes forecasting, trend analysis, and financial modeling. The ideal candidate has experience in the not-for-profit industry in general, and with 501(c) (3) organizations.
Position Description: The Controller will be responsible for:
- Direct financial strategic and multi-year planning for the enterprise.
- Hands on responsibility for accounting and financial operations.
- Reporting that includes general ledger, accounts receivable, accounts payable, fixed assets, budget, and taxes.
- Leading, developing, and supervising the Accounting team.
- Managing a portfolio of grants and contracts, foundation and corporate grants, and private donations.
- Managing banking, investment manager, and other vendor relationships.
- Ensuring appropriate internal controls and adoption of industry best practices.
- In-depth knowledge of accounting, financial reporting and generally accepted accounting principles and practices and risk management.
- Demonstrated familiarity with non-profit accounting practices, specifically related to Accounting Standards Update (ASU) 2016-14, Presentation of Financial Statement of Not for Profit Entities and ASU 2018-08, Clarifying the Scope and the Accounting Guidance for Contributions Received and Contributions Made.
- Solid experience in coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, fixed assets, accounting for investments, and separate entity accounting.
- Proven experience in the implementation of operational best practices.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, ability to interact with all levels of staff and to explain accounting terms to non-accountants, experience in effectively communicating key data, including presentations to senior management.
- Outstanding analytic, organization and problem-solving skills for strategic data interpretation versus simple reporting.
- Technology-savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software and systems implementations; advanced knowledge of accounting and reporting software.
- Advanced Microsoft Office Suite skills, especially Excel and PowerPoint. Experience with Association Management software is desired.
- Experience in grants management and reporting on foundation and corporate grants to funders and required external reporting.
- Demonstrated ability to apply innovative and resourceful solutions to solve complex challenges.
- Excellent written and verbal skills with the ability to clearly organize thoughts and/or document content and convey complex concepts effectively to a variety of audiences.
- Demonstrated experience with full range of payroll-related activities.
- Understanding of member/donor-based operations and higher education desirable.
Education Requirements: Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration; CPA is required.
Experience Requirement: Must have at least five years of supervisory experience and eight to ten years of progressive experience in finance or accounting.
Working Conditions: This is a full-time position located at AASCU’s office in Washington, DC. Work is generally performed within the office environment with minimal travel expectations.
Salary Range: $120,000 - $140,000 (Experience dependent). Generous benefits package to include medical, dental, and vision insurance; 10+ paid holidays plus additional annual leave; above standard market contribution to company sponsored 403(b) retirement plan; tuition assistance; etc.
AASCU is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.