Job Title: Finance Manager (Full-Time)
Department: Finance and Operations
Reports To: Director of Finance and Administration
The Police Foundation, located in Arlington, VA, is a national non-partisan and non-profit organization that has been conducting innovative research on policing for nearly 50 years. The professional staff at the Police Foundation works closely with law enforcement agencies, researchers and policymakers to develop research, comprehensive reports, policy briefs, model policies, and innovative programs. The Police Foundation has been on the forefront of researching and providing guidance on community policing practices, having done much of the research that has led to a questioning of the traditional model of professional law enforcement, and toward a new view of policing - one emphasizing a community orientation - that is widely embraced today. The Police Foundation works all over the United States, Latin America and beyond.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Monthly reconciliations of accounts
- State tax filings
- Benefit filings
- Review and submit payroll
- Manage accounts payable and accounts receivable
- Cash flow tracking and reporting
- Prepare monthly allocation journal entries from data files for payroll and project expenditures;
- Assist with financial and project audits/site visits;
- Report, record and reconcile investment activities;
- Ensure maintenance of appropriate internal controls as required under GAAP;
- Ensure expenses posted by staff are submitted and recorded timely and coded correctly;
- Review monthly financial project expenditure reports prepared by accounting staff;
- Prepare/design budget templates to assist organization staff with grant and project budgets, pre and post award;
- In conjunction with the Director of Finance and Administration, ensure financial compliance with federal regulations and foundation guidelines, as applicable;
- Work closely with funders, subcontractors, and headquarters to ensure accurate and timely billing, and payments;
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Finance and Administration.
Skills and Abilities:
- Personally committed to advancing the Police Foundation mission, goals, values, and programs.
- Knowledge and direct experience with accounts payable and receivable and payroll process is required.
- Knowledge and direct experience in matters related to independent financial audits and the development and monitoring of internal controls in an organization is strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of federal grant rules and regulations, specifically 2 CFR Part 200 and grant accounting is a plus, but not required.
- Knowledge of accounting practices related to private foundation grants and contracts from federal, state and municipal governments is encouraged.
- Knowledge or experience in using accounting systems such as QuickBooks Online, JAMIS, Prime ERP or others is a plus.
- A high level of expertise in developing, preparing and modifying complex Microsoft Excel Workbooks is required.
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, maturity, and the ability to work both independently and in a team setting.
- Efficient, organized work style, and an ability to prioritize quickly and confidently while managing multiple deadlines.
Educational and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s or Masters degree in accounting required; CPA license preferred.
- Must have a minimum of 3 years public accounting or 4 years other accounting experience.
- Ability to handle sensitive information and materials.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Proficient in using Microsoft products, especially Excel.
SALARY RANGE: This is a full-time position. Salary is commensurate with experience and includes a competitive benefits package.
DEADLINE: Open until filled. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
POSITION LOCATION: Position will work out of the Police Foundation headquarters in Arlington, VA, however, this position will telecommute as determined by the organization during the current public health emergency.
SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS: Interested individuals should apply through the following email:email@example.com
2. Cover Letter
Must also agree to a background investigation, provide three references upon request, and must be authorized to work in the United States.