The Greater Washington Society of CPAs serves to advance the conditions, interests and public recognition of CPAs and Non-CPA members in the District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia. Founded in 1923 as the CPA society for the greater Washington, DC metropolitan area. The Society's purpose is broad in scope. Membership in the GWSCPA is open to all accountants holding valid CPA certificates from any U.S. State or Territory, as well as non-CPA accounting and financial professionals from government, not for profit associations, academia and other eligible categories.
A strong accounting profession plays a critical role in a thriving economy and nation. We know there is strength in numbers: we achieve more together, propelling career success for finance & accounting professionals.
To be the most valued resource for accounting professionals in the greater DC area.
- Provide quality professional education which reflects member needs
- Advocate for our members, the CPA profession and the public interest
- Engage and advance our members community through a myriad of services and activities
- Achieve and maintain operational excellence
GWSCPA Core Values
- Integrity: our actions reflect our profession-we work with integrity, ethics and dependability.
- Community: we value diverse perspectives, experiences and professional roles/settings in our society.
- Collaboration: we work together to design and execute programs with our members and partners.
- Professional Opportunities: we make our members more successful leaders in this profession.
- Learning: we learn from and with each other and our programs keep our members at the forefront of the profession.
Most recent financial statements for:
Greater Washington Society of CPAs FY21 Form 990
GWSCPA Educational Foundation FY21 Form
*FY21 = July 1, 2020 - June 30, 2021)
2023 Employee Benefit Plans Virtual Conference
Tuesday, May 2, 2023 1:00pm - Wednesday, May 3, 2023 4:35pm
Building Resiliency: The Upside of Stress
Thursday, February 16, 2023 10:00pm - 11:00pm
•how your view of stress determines its effect on you •Think of stress differently so that it is beneficial rather than harmful •The Benefits of stress •how to cultivate a mindset that embraces stress and activates The brain's natural ability to Learn from it
IRS Disputes: Identifying Options for Your Client
Friday, February 17, 2023 8:00am - 12:00pm
For this year, the Scholarship Fund will make several awards ranging from $3,000 for our undergraduate and graduate student awards to $5,000 each for our two special named awards-the Past President's Award and the Sue Marcum Memorial Award. The 2023 Scholarship application for aspiring CPAs through GWSCPA is now available. Find out more by visiting the website. Application deadline is April 7, 2023.
The future of the CPA exam is explained in the recently released AICPA blueprints for the redesigned CPA exam. The new exam is set to be launched in January 2024.
Councilor, Buchanan & Mitchell (CBM) has been named to Bethesda Magazine’s 2022 list of Top Places to Work. This annual program recognizes local businesses who agreed to anonymously respond to several in-depth questions about employee engagement in a survey administrated by a third-party research group. Seventeen businesses demonstrating a deep commitment to team engagement and whose staff cumulatively delivered survey results reflecting that commitment were recognized in the November/December issue of Bethesda Magazine.