Hiring a AP/AR Accountant for our Finance Team!
The Foundation seeks an experienced and ambitious AP/AR accountant who thrives in a fast-paced environment. This motivated person will oversee the ever-evolving AP/AR cycles while the Foundation continues to grow.
March 12, 2023
Silver Spring, MD
The National Marine Sanctuary Foundation (“Foundation”) a private, non-profit organization dedicated to strengthening and promoting U.S. national marine sanctuaries, seeks an AP and AR Accountant to work at its headquarters in Silver Spring, Maryland. The AP and AR Accountant plays a key role within the Foundation’s finance team and is responsible for recording the accounts payable and disbursement activities, preparing monthly close journal entries for AP and AR. The AP and AR Accountant provides support to the Foundation’s Finance Department leadership.
The National Marine Sanctuary Foundation is committed to a culture of inclusion, equity, and belonging. We are dedicated to attracting and retaining a diverse staff. We honor experiences, perspectives, and unique identities, and welcome the contributions that you can bring to the dedicated team. With a diverse team of employees, we can grow and learn better together and achieve our mission to protect the health of the ocean, coasts and Great Lakes for current and future generations.
What You’ll Do
- Enter, upload, review, validate, invoices daily into Bill and or Intacct.
- Code invoices as indicated or based on expense typein collaboration with program operations.
- Analyze workflow process.
- Ensure bills are paid in a timely and accurate manner while adhering to departmental procedures and monitoring discount opportunities.
- Processing transactions and performing accounting duties such as account maintenance, recording entries and reconciling accounts payable.
- Analyze all accounts on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis to ensure payment accuracy.
- Prepare and mail all required tax documents.
- Maintain vendor files and approve new vendors for creation.
- Prepare and perform weekly check runs, wires, and ACH payments.
- Research and resolve invoice discrepancies and issues.
- Ensure all documentation supporting invoices are combined and filed.
- Process voids and reversals.
- Reconcile vendor statements and resolve discrepancies.
- Monitor departmental, functional email account.
- Produce monthly accounts receivable aging and execute the collections process.
- Maintain, reconcile and analyze the accounts receivable and general ledgers to ensure that all payments are properly applied, and all billings are accurately recorded.
- Collaborate with internal and external customers on billing issues and questions.
- Prepare and send monthly invoices.
- Coordinate with Development and Chapters to ensure all special events revenue has been recorded in Intacct.
- Complete assigned month-end close procedures.
- Compile, code and verify transactions and journal entries.
- Research and resolve issues and exceptions.
Who You Are
You are the dependable go-to for Foundation leadership. You thrive in a fast-paced environment, and you take pride in planning and efficiency. You have strong administrative and organizational skills, a strong sense of initiative, work well independently, and build positive relationships.
· Two to four years of professional accounting experience.
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Solid understanding of basic bookkeeping and accounts payable principles.
- Proven ability to calculate, post and manage accounting figures and financial records.
- Hands-on experience with spreadsheets and proprietary software.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Accurate typing with the ability to maintain and manage organized files. Accurate spelling, correct grammar and usage, and knowledge of the mechanics of writing are important. Proficient computer skills, including Microsoft Office.
- Ability to track budget expenses.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- Bachelor’s degree or Associates degree in accounting, finance, or related field.
- Bill (formerly Bill.com) experience a plus
- Why You Will Love Us
The National Marine Sanctuary Foundation (“Foundation”) is a leading voice for U.S. protected waters, working with communities to conserve and expand those special places for a healthy ocean, coasts, and Great Lakes. The Foundation works in close partnership with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) to increase stewardship of our ocean and Great Lakes through on-the- water conservation projects, and education and public outreach activities, and by support for research. Together, we safeguard species and the places they call home, and support coastal communities and economies.
- Dedicated and passionate staff committed to marine and Great Lakes Conservation
- Generous leave policy, plus paid time off the week between December 25 and January 1; and 12 paid holidays
- Health benefits: Medical with an FSA option; dental, and vision
- Foundation paid Life and Disability Insurance
- Preparing for the Future: 403(B) with employer contribution after one year of service
- Commuter Benefits
Location: Washington D.C. based (Silver Spring HQ office location), with an ability to work remotely as needed.
Start Date: As soon as possible
How To Apply
Applications received before March 31, 2023, will be preferred. Applications must include a cover letter, resume, and at least three professional references.
COVID-19 considerations: Can negotiate for some remote work for part of the work week on an ongoing basis. The National Marine Sanctuary Foundation requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination from all employees.
The National Marine Sanctuary Foundation is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and**inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws. This commitment applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, and training. The Foundation makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.Apply Online