PBS Distribution Senior Accountant
The Senior Accountant will perform key duties essential to preparing complete, accurate, and timely financial reports in accordance with accounting standards. At least 3 years of progressive finance, accounting, and compliance experience.
March 17, 2023
POSITION TITLE: Senior Accountant (Hybrid) DEPARTMENT: Accounting and Finance STATUS: Full-time, Exempt LOCATION: Arlington, VA SUPERVISOR: Controller
PBS Distribution (PBSd)*, a for-profit organization, is a leading distributor of public media content around the world from producers whose stories make a difference, reaching audiences through multiple platforms and formats including six digital subscription channels on Amazon Prime Video Channels, Advertising On-Demand, Digital Download, Licensing, Physical Goods, theatrical runs, international linear channels, and program sales while generating revenue for the public media system.
At PBS Distribution, we want to best represent the communities that we serve. The global community is diverse, and we are our best when we have a team that reflects that. PBS Distribution is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, celebrating, supporting, and thriving when our team is able to show up fully and authentically.
The Senior Accountant will perform key duties essential to preparing complete, accurate, and timely financial reports in accordance with accounting standards. The position will prepare and review journal entries, properly update account reconciliations, and provide analysis and explanations for results on a regular basis. In addition, the position will work alongside the accounting operational teams monitoring their progress and helping guide their activities to meet regular deadlines. The Senior Accountant will also contribute to determining proper accounting treatment for new or unusual business transactions as well assisting in the year-end audit process.
The successful candidate will have the ability to meet time-sensitive deadlines, manage multiple priorities and handle complex and confidential information with discretion.
- Contribute to the preparation of the monthly close schedule and checklist and ensure adherence to the schedule.
- Work in parallel with the accounting operational teams completing requisite monthly tasks by prescribed due dates.
- Prepare General Ledger month-end journal entries ensuring accuracy and accordance with GAAP.
- Prepare month-end account reconciliations with a focus on increasing reporting accuracy and efficiency.
- Review and analyze monthly results to validate the transactions recorded for the period.
- Prepare explanations and documentation for any unusual balances and/or deviations from expectations.
- Own the accounting procedures and processes for royalty reporting including the preparation of periodic journal entries as well as updates to all royalty-related reports and schedules.
- Collaborate with the Royalties team to manage royalty activities including review of activity in the royalty system, plans for new or unusual royalty contracts, and validation of royalty system results.
- Review accounting guidance to determine the proper treatment for new or unusual transactions.
- Review all updated accounting pronouncements that may impact the company and assist in implementing any necessary changes.
- Contribute to the review and strengthening of company’s internal controls.
- Develop recommendations to optimize company’s accounting systems and procedures and detect inaccuracies.
- Prepare audit support files and complete any necessary ad hoc audit requests.
- Develop understanding of relevant functional areas of the ERP to become a subject-matter expert; assist in the maintenance of all ERP interfaces with other systems.
- Aid in the ongoing documentation of the ERP and all information systems that contribute to recording the company’s financial transactions.
- Be a lead contributor in implementations of new information systems and programs that are added to the financial reporting infrastructure.
- At least 3 years of progressive finance, accounting, and compliance experience
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Accounting or Finance
- CPA license in good standing required
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel (Advanced Excel experience a plus)
- Proficiency using ERP/large data systems (Microsoft Dynamics experience a plus)
- Proficiency working with large data sets and complex data systems
- Proficiency using other financial reporting and analytical programs
- Strong technical accounting skills and strong grasp of GAAP accounting
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational and project management skills
- Exceptional attention to detail and follow-through skills
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, and manage projects from start to finish effectively
- Ability to prioritize and organize work.
- Exceptional time management skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
PBS Distribution (PBSd) is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind.
*PBS Distribution is a for-profit organization with a mission to drive profitable growth by building key partnerships and distributing inspiring content. PBS Distribution is headquartered in Arlington, VA with an additional office In Boston, MA.Apply Online