Senior Accounting Consultant, Kiwi Partners
Senior Accounting Consultant, Kiwi Lines of Business – Accounting Services (Hybrid, Remote) The Senior Accounting Consultant will create, analyze, and prepare critical financial reports for client organizations.
Essential Responsibilities: Technical
- Perform the month-end close for Kiwi Partners clients following Kiwi month-end closing checklist.
- Create and analyze management financial reports, including but not limited to:
- Perform the investment reconciliation
- Statement of Activities (Income Statement);
- Statement of Financial Position (Balance Sheet);
- Cash Flow Forecast & year-end Operating Forecast;
- Budget v. Actual Variance Report.
- Prepare footnotes, explaining variances against the budget to provide insight and clarity to the reader.
- Assist with the preparation of the annual budget.
- Prepare and present Board packages for client Finance/Audit/Board meetings.
- Prepare the books ready for the year-end external audit, including the completion of the 990-tax questionnaire for the external tax accountants.
- Ensure the 990-tax return is reviewed by the Board of Directors in accordance with the review process laid out in Schedule O of the tax return.
- Working with the HR team, maintain compliance with any tax and benefit related regulations and resolve tax/benefit-related issues (e.g. 1099, work comp audit, Form 5500, etc.).
- Develop and implement accounting policies and procedures in accordance with Kiwi Partners Quality Management System (QMS).
- Supervise team members performing accounts payable, accounts receivable and bank reconciliation bookkeeping work.
- Suggest and embrace technology upgrades and new accounting technology tools, in collaboration with the Kiwi Consulting team, to create efficiencies at the client.
- Prepare and participate in new engagement start-ups and participate in defining project scope.
- As a team, deliver financial and management reports to the client Executive Director (or person we report to) each month.
- Provide thought leadership to our clients, and actively participant in Client Advisory Service (CAS) meetings with the client engagement team.
To be successful in this role you’ll need:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent level of experience.
- 8 years of experience without a Bachelor’s degree
- 4 – 6 years of accounting experience.
- Prior experience with project management and/or client management.
- Experience with one or more of the following:
- Working in multiple work environments.
- Balancing the needs of several clients.
- Working independently as well as collaboratively.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Strong communication skills.
Other Highly Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Experience and Key Characteristics
- Prior experience in a small non-for-profits, startup, or unstructured environment.
- Master’s or CPA.
- Experience with nonprofit accounting.
Our Core Competencies
- Ability to provide excellent service, including the ability to address routine service matters efficiently and independently, to suggest effective client-centered solutions when elevating challenges or concerns, and to understand how the team can operate to maintain high-quality service.
- The ability to complete complex tasks, to use a work plan to undertake projects, and to understand how those projects impact the client, team, and/or firm’s objectives.
- The ability to understand stakeholders’ perspectives and circumstances, and to build and manage strong relationships that reflect that understanding.
- The ability to communicate clearly, concisely, and professionally, including the ability to adapt style, tone, and content to various audiences; to make technical information accessible to broader audiences; and to collaborate with others to produce strong written deliverables.
- The ability to work cooperatively and inclusively with others to achieve shared goals, including knowing when and how to compromise, being willing to proactively help colleagues, and sharing knowledge in various mediums.
- An enthusiasm for taking on stretch and development opportunities, including the ability to accept feedback and use it to improve performance.
- The ability to take ownership and be creative and solutions-oriented when encountering challenges that don’t have obvious answers, including knowing when to elevate challenges along with possible solutions.
- Demonstrate the ability to bring an understanding of how privilege and marginalization affect their interactions and work with others.
Working with Us This position is open to candidates who wish to be based out of our office locations in New York, Washington DC, Chicago, IL, Durham, NC, and San Francisco, CA. Candidates based in NY are strongly preferred. We are also open to permanently remote workers based in the following states: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, and Wisconsin. Please note that all our five offices have reopened, and we work in a hybrid environment.
We reopened our offices in Summer of 2022 and work with a hybrid workplace strategy to ensure continued flexibility for our staff, while deepening our strong culture rooted in collaboration and in-person interactions between colleagues. We expect that after your initial onboarding, you will have the choice of two hybrid schedules. Our hybrid schedule options include Flex, with 1-2 days per week in the office, or Office-based, with 3+ days per week in the office (or more if preferred) and the remaining days working at home/remotely. We will make reasonable accommodations under the guidelines of the Americans With Disabilities Act.
We are committed to having a passion-driven, inclusive, transparent, collaborative, healthy, and fun culture. We invite you to visit our careers page to learn more.
About Kiwi Partners / Arabella Advisors Our firm helps foundations, philanthropists and investors who are serious about impact, achieve the greatest good with their resources. We work on issues ranging from the social and economic advancement of women and girls, and conservation of our climate and planet, to reducing poverty and inequity in the United States and around the world. Our staff members are mission-driven and action-oriented, and have a unique combination of experience in philanthropy, business, nonprofits, government, finance, law, and other fields. We combine creative, strategic thinking with knowledge and networks developed through decades of hands-on experience. The fastest-growing philanthropic advisory firm in the nation, we are also a certified B Corporation. About Kiwi Partners Accounting Services Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Advancing DEI within our firm and in our work with partners is critical to our mission. To be effective partners to philanthropists, nonprofits, and communities impacted by philanthropic dollars, we need to have a highly diverse staff, a workplace where individuals are encouraged to retain their uniqueness and can feel a sense of belonging, and a nuanced understanding of the racial, ethnic, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability status, and other disparities that undergird the issues we engage in and the interactions we have with one another. For us, equity means that our staff members, our clients, and the people they serve can experience the same level of success, no matter their starting place. We expect all our employees to share this commitment, and always seek ways to improve how well we live these values. Click here to learn more about DEI at Kiwi / Arabella and read our official DEI statement.
Total Rewards (compensation and benefits) This is a full-time position. We offer a competitive and holistic total rewards package that includes salary, bonus, and benefits. Our compensation ranges are based on salary ranges for similar sized organizations in the professional services sector and adjusted for local labor market rates and differentiated by geography.
Durham: $75,000- $93,000 Chicago: $80,000- $100,000 Washington DC: $85,000- $105,000 San Francisco: $90,000- $113,000 New York City: $90,000- $113,000
All full-time staff are eligible for our generous benefits package on their first day of employment:
- Health insurance - On average we pay 86% of the medical premium, 80% of the dental premium, and 100% of the vision premium.
- Paid time off - 16 days’ vacation, 10 personal days, 11 company holidays (7 federal and 4 more from a list of inclusive cultural and religious holidays and your birthday), 20 hours’ volunteer leave, 8 weeks’ parental leave.
- 401(k) retirement plan- We offer a 4% employer match on a dollar-per-dollar basis, and there is no waiting or vesting period; all funds contributed by you and Arabella are yours to keep on day1
- Reimbursements for your personal cell phone plan and fitness
- Pre-tax withholding for transportation and parking
- Bonus incentive opportunities
- Access to professional development opportunities
How to Apply Submit a resume and a one-page cover letter online. The cover letter should address why you’re excited to work for us and why you’re qualified for this specific job.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to racial equity. If we can make the application process easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please let us know. We make a particular effort to recruit people of color and members of marginalized groups to apply for open positions. Once you have applied, we welcome your feedback on how you have experienced our values around DEI in the recruitment process.
While we are open to individuals from various locations applying to join our team, please note that we generally are unable to pay for relocation expenses, and, except in rare circumstances considered on a case-by-case basis, all applicants must already be legally eligible to work in the United States at the time of application to be considered for this position.
We will review applications as they are received and look forward to hearing from you.Apply Online